The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What crops can you plant for a fall harvest and when is the best time to plant them? I usually only plant in the spring, but would like to extend my homegrown varities into the fall.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Broccoli, Coliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Peas, Lettuce.......Any early cool crops you plant in the spring and harvest in early summer...

I already have my Cabbage and Broccoli in....now is the time to plant them.....the sooner the better!

If you get well established Cucumber plants (transplants in containers), there is still enough time to get a last crop out of them!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I personally never tried spring onions... might work, not sure....

Radishes, Turnips, Beets, are cool crops and I've heard guys plant them before in late July Early August...Dad used to put Turnips in near the end of August and then he never ate any from what was planted until the First Frost hit them!

Carrots, another 1 I do not know about....don't they have a rather long growing season??

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
You can put in radishs they grow quick.kohrabi is another good late crop.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to try spring onions, leaf lettuce, carrots and radishes this weekend. I will see how it works out in a few weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts