The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
How do you know when the first frost will be? Are you talking seedlings or larger trees? I have heard late fall after the sap drops is a good transplant time

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is data out there that tells you when the first frost normally hits, but it's just going off of past data, so it's a guess.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You can plant them whenever, but if it's in September you will need to keep watering etc until it goes dormant. Most fall planting is recommended in early November right during the rut. I'd rather be hunting then vs planting trees. And since you are planting dormant trees, you aren't really gaining anything vs just planting in the spring. Most nursery ship trees in the spring

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am getting replacement seedlings from Georgia that died when I planted them in the Spring. I won't be able to water them, which makes me nervous. I'll never buy from a different climate again, just because of dormancy timing here versus there.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If you cant water them then get some of those water crystals at Home depot. Put about a teaspoon of crystals in the hole with seedlings and plant then water. They absorb a lot of water and release it slow. I used them on our seedlings planted in april and when we were at camp for turkey they were all doing good. Spilled some of the crystals and they turned into a miniature blob of goo on the ground.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I also thought about potting them at my house for the fall/winter then planting them in the spring.

·
Registered
384 Posts
charman03 said:
since you are planting dormant trees, you aren't really gaining anything vs just planting in the spring. Most nursery ship trees in the spring
I understand what you are saying. Roots will grow at any soil temp above about 40 degrees, even when the above ground portion is dormant. FWIW, over the years I have my best following year results (and much better survivability) with fall planted seedlings. Seems to give the roots a chance to stabilize and grow well before the spring green up.

Also have experienced poor results with seedlings grown out of my area (southern US/Florida) as Drew as noted.

It would really help drew if you could provide supplemental water 1-2x OR the water crystals mentioned above. They need this even when planted in September/October.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I kept the trees potted from fall until spring, will these seedlings need to be kept in-doors primarily?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts