The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan on planting a few small plots for this fall and i plan on using brassicas or brassica, rape mix. when should i plant for a fall plot? also what would be best to plant for small plots? i was looking at shot plot.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How small do you plan on making the plots?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pabowhuntR said:
How small do you plan on making the plots?
like little honey holes in the woods i dont have any equipment so all together i plan on making two or three.and all together it will be a half acre max.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I planted turnips,rape and austrian peas 2 years ago in my food plot. It did very well with turnips the size of softballs. It was planted out in an open field and we planted it the last week of July. It was outside of Oswayo so if you around Coudy that timeline should be o.k. Everything stayed green until December.
Not sure how it will do in the woods, but if the soil is ok and it gets water and sunlight it should be ok

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rober said:
I planted turnips,rape and austrian peas 2 years ago in my food plot. It did very well with turnips the size of softballs. It was planted out in an open field and we planted it the last week of July. It was outside of Oswayo so if you around Coudy that timeline should be o.k. Everything stayed green until December.
Not sure how it will do in the woods, but if the soil is ok and it gets water and sunlight it should be ok
im gonna look for one of the more open spots in the woods. ive gotta go out and scout deer trails and choose exactly were i want to put it.

so how much did you plant and how much did the deer use it?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Man, you will need to lime the heck out of those soils up there if they are in the woods. Typical pH for woods soil up there is around 4-4.5. I doubt you'll be able to plant a crop this fall.

I plant my brassica in Potter between the 20th and 23rd of July every year. Has worked well for me.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
BTW, Shot Plot is a nice mix.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I planted about 1 acre. The deer used it some thru the fall when they were eating the peas. The later it got in the year the more they started to hit the others. They really hammered it late December, when all that was left were turnips. This field was also planted beside a clover field so it was a double draw.
You can try and plant it this year, but like Dutch says, it depends on the soil. Get the soil tested or test it yourself and you can see how much you will have to lime.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dutch said:
Man, you will need to lime the heck out of those soils up there if they are in the woods. Typical pH for woods soil up there is around 4-4.5. I doubt you'll be able to plant a crop this fall.

I plant my brassica in Potter between the 20th and 23rd of July every year. Has worked well for me.
im gonna try one just to see how well it will do. dont worry i wont be suprised if it doesnt do well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts