The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also new this year, I tried to plant a new variety of black raspberry's that gets a fall crop. I actually planted them late last summer and got very few off of them last fall. I treated them like a summer black and left the cane on them and picked a fair number this summer till the birds finished them off for me. I have to say I was a little skeptical about a fall crop on them. I wasn't sure if there was going to be enough time for it to get ripe. I believe if the weather stays warm I should get a pretty good fall crop. I picked about a half a quart this weekend.

·
Registered
384 Posts
very nice. Do you have the name of the cultivar or purchase location?
The wild blacks are just getting started up North by me...a little late this year but not by much.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The variety is Niwot. I got them from Nourse farms. I believe there are a few other online catalogs that carry them also.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just saw a post about Niwot a few days again and was thinking about getting some from Nourse. Maybe try some of the primocane blackberries too.

How many plants did you buy?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought 25, but most where sold at our business. I actually planted 8 on 3 foot centers. I think I planted them to close because they are very vigorous. I got a really good summer crop off them also, it might be worth leaving the canes on and double cropping them. I tipped them back in mid July at 6-7 feet and they got way too tall and the laterals got really long also. I will tip them lower next summer and also think I will trim the laterals back. I also planted 7 more this year and gave them more space in a 24 foot bed. It seems like I am going to get one slammer picking of 6-8 quarts and the rest of the seasons just going to be a pint or so at a time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've never planted or cultivated any cane berries. We have a big blackberry patch and black raspberries all over but they get no care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts