The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know someone that puts missouri cottontails, San Jaun, smokey's, crosses, etc. rabbits out on private lands and hunts them? I am seeing some large headed, white breasted rabbits posted on the success forum...I wonder if they are fun to hunt. I know guys use them to train pups...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is illegal to possess San Juan rabbits in PA and illegal to release cottontails to hunt or train dogs with.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John S said:
It is illegal to possess San Juan rabbits in PA and illegal to release cottontails to hunt or train dogs with.
Some of the crosses really look like wild eastern cottontails. I'd bet someone is putting them out and wilding them up and doing guided hunts...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, you are mistaken, it is illegal to bring them into PA under the laws of the dept of Ag and they have been illegal to posess for a long time under Ag laws and illegal to import under the Game Code as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John S said:
Some of the crosses really look like wild eastern cottontails. I'd bet someone is putting them out and wilding them up and doing guided hunts...Some of the pics on this forum have some rabbits with some big heads...I don't remember seeing eastern cottontails that big and so many....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
GTR_Beagles said:
It is not illegal to posses them only to let them free in the wild or let them free to hunt them in the wild.
I was always told that. Up to 20 years ago beagle clubs imported wild Kansas cottontail rabbits. Myers brothers delivered them throughout Western Pa. Many clubs bought hundred per year. But these were cottontails.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's illegal to do most anything though. San Juans are all over pa legal or illegal to train beagle pups and are perfect to do so, just saying...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've cleaned many PA cottontails over the last 40 years and haven't noticed that they look any different. lol I wonder exactly how many rabbits I have skinned quartered and put in a freezer...wow, I will say that it has been quite afew.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alpine Shooter said:
GTR_Beagles said:
It is not illegal to posses them only to let them free in the wild or let them free to hunt them in the wild.
I was always told that. Up to 20 years ago beagle clubs imported wild Kansas cottontail rabbits. Myers brothers delivered them throughout Western Pa. Many clubs bought hundred per year. But these were cottontails.
Did PA ever bring in Jack Rabbits. I know NJ did way back. Some say the rabbits in Hunterdon County still have those qualities...I believe NJ still lists them under their season and bag limits.

On another note while I am thinking about it...Why doesn't the PGC bring in trap and transfer Snowshoes. If our population is decreasing significant enough where we have to close the season, we should be doing habitat work and repopulating them. It seems like a lot of guys are spending the money to go out of state to hunt them. Then again rabbit and deer hunters don't have organizations like RGS, WCLoPA, DU, and PF/QF.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
jamesh said:
Alpine Shooter said:
GTR_Beagles said:
Did PA ever bring in Jack Rabbits. I know NJ did way back. Some say the rabbits in Hunterdon County still have those qualities...I believe NJ still lists them under their season and bag limits.

On another note while I am thinking about it...Why doesn't the PGC bring in trap and transfer Snowshoes. If our population is decreasing significant enough where we have to close the season, we should be doing habitat work and repopulating them. It seems like a lot of guys are spending the money to go out of state to hunt them. Then again rabbit and deer hunters don't have organizations like RGS, WCLoPA, DU, and PF/QF.
I believe the trap and transfer snowshoes has been tried before, I believe John-PA has info on atleast 1 study. You wouldn't need to re-populate, they could do it themselves, we just don't have the habitat. The habitat work necessary would be clear cutting, creating young forest. If you know how to make the powers that be clear cut the ANF, then we are in business.

·
Registered
490 Posts
John S said:
John-
Is the San Juan a domestic rabbit or just another name for the European wild rabbit?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The San Juan rabbit is actually a hare not a rabbit. They are very much larger that cottontails. They are a wild species from the San Juan Islands. They were inported into the US for release for hunting in the 50s. My dad actually raised some as well as Kansas cottontails for his sportsmans club when it was legal to release them in the 50s. The San Juan as it turns out dig warrens like European Hares and that didn't set well with the farmers. The Depart of Ag designatd tham as injurous and banned the possession or import but I don't remember what year but it was a long long time ago.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
GTR, there are lots of people doing illegal things, if they get caught they will have to pay the consequences. A question was ask, rather than remain silent I chose to tell the OP what the law is so he won't get in trouble. If people want to take a chance and violate the law, that is on them but at least those here know what the law is on the question that was ask.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
John S said:
GTR, there are lots of people doing illegal things, if they get caught they will have to pay the consequences. A question was ask, rather than remain silent I chose to tell the OP what the law is so he won't get in trouble. If people want to take a chance and violate the law, that is on them but at least those here know what the law is on the question that was ask.
Can you show me where it says they are illegal to posess?? I have tried to find a source but have been unsuccessful. I don't know if they are or they aren't, but all I have been able to find on them is that they are basically a domestic rabbit, descending from San Juan Island, originally from Europe. If that's the case, I would assume one could keep a San Juan as a pet....that you could let your beagle pup chase.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Go to the PGC website and click on resources, then click on conservation history and go to 1955. In addition to that since San Juans are wildlife they may not be released or imported into PA under the Game Code. I am not surprised that some people don't know about it, but that doesn;t make it any less illegal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts