The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everbody loves there foxpros, but iv been using mine all season with not a thing, the last two years I used my homemade caller with my ipod, calls from Western rivers ect. The first year I killed 1 coyote, last year I called several killing four of them. This year I decided if I was going out alot I didnt want to deal with the wires or possibly losing my ipod so I bought a foxpro wildfire 2, I think it sounds better and is alot easier to set up. But so far I tried getting an early start on things in sept. Iv been out atleast twice as often, hunting spots that are much better having done alot of scouting and more reading research ect. I have also hunted the same areas like I had last year putting more effort into my setups and time in the field. I know im not doing anything wrong like I said iv got 5 so far in past seasons. Its not that I havnt found coyotes, I have been with 100yards many times this year having them howl back to my howls ect with nothing coming to the distress calls, I did shoot a red fox this year at about 9am after having turned my caller off 20 mins prior then getting out my syco tweety I was using a decoy aswell when I saw it sitting watching the decoy. Im going to credit the mouth call for that one. Now the only thing siff this year is that iv been scanning the whole time on stand as alot of you guys seem to do. So far I have not seen 1 set of eyes using this method. Im not sure if it is keeping them in the woods or what but last year I would sit and watch say a logging trail and listen. then periodicly turning my gun light on to scan and having actually killes them this way I might think this is the problem. I will say tgat this year I did call a grey fox at night sitting in a treestand in the woods with no light, when I hit the light it was not were I though it would be and when I saw it I only had a sec by the time I ID it it was too late. Being that I was in a tree stand I couldnt move well enough for a shot. This is the only thing I can credit to this caller, but I had been sitting there atleast 1.5 hours very quietly. I realise the rensonses im going to get tend to be towards me doing somtging wrong wich I am not. If anyone has any thoughts or advice or similar problems just let me know I am trying to narrow down my problem. Keep in mind I hunt atleast 3 nights a week. Thankyou

·
Registered
457 Posts
I got a foxpro also only seen one set of eyes and never came in close enough to ID it. But you were saying you used sounds from western river calls and other places you can load any mp3 sound on your foxpro if you think thats the problem.

·
Registered
978 Posts

You are right the call is the problem I would sell it immediately. All kidding aside I was going to stay clear from this post but, since the weather is bad I will give my two cents.

I see you state that you are not doing anything wrong. Well with out sitting there with you looking at the entire situation its very hard for me on a keyboard to diagnose. I do believe that you are doing something wrong. I lay many predators to rest each each with a FOXPRO call and have done so for years. I am not going to expand on this much further than to simply say that they work. All calls work. Both ecaller or not.

You need to revisit how you are doing things. Are you conditioning them by calling the same property to much? Not setting your stand properly? Running lights improperly?
Noise discipline? Making wise choices as to how you call? Here is a big one. Are predators existing at your calling locations? It doesn't sound like you want to believe that there is a problem but, I am sure there is a problem somewhere in what your doing. The call if not malfunctioning is fine. I didn't feel like posting to many pics but, here is a sample of how a call can work Foxpro or otherwise. Go back to the drawling board and think this out some more. If you are using the call as the problem I think you will be in for a long season chasing your tail on that one. Also for what is worth run your scan light full time when night hunting. Its more advantageous for you to do so. Good luck.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
941 Posts
I 2nd what Kirk says a free meal is a free meal if its coming from varmint al sounds on a iPod or a foxpro I would say take a look at your set up or like he said maybe your over hunting your spots. Although I have heard foxpro is putting subliminal messages in their sounds now telling the animal not to come in or it's gonna die maybe you got some of them sounds.
just messin around

·
Registered
554 Posts
You sound a little frustrated but again there is a problem and the E-caller isn't it. Are you blasting them out with sounds to loud?? Seems that could be the problem. The idea that a red,a grey, a coon,a house cat hasn't responded means something wrong.

·
Registered
721 Posts
TFC2223X said:

You are right the call is the problem I would sell it immediately. All kidding aside I was going to stay clear from this post but, since the weather is bad I will give my two cents.

I see you state that you are not doing anything wrong. Well with out sitting there with you looking at the entire situation its very hard for me on a keyboard to diagnose. I do believe that you are doing something wrong. I lay many predators to rest each each with a FOXPRO call and have done so for years. I am not going to expand on this much further than to simply say that they work. All calls work. Both ecaller or not.

You need to revisit how you are doing things. Are you conditioning them by calling the same property to much? Not setting your stand properly? Running lights improperly?
Noise discipline? Making wise choices as to how you call? Here is a big one. Are predators existing at your calling locations? It doesn't sound like you want to believe that there is a problem but, I am sure there is a problem somewhere in what your doing. The call if not malfunctioning is fine. I didn't feel like posting to many pics but, here is a sample of how a call can work Foxpro or otherwise. Go back to the drawling board and think this out some more. If you are using the call as the problem I think you will be in for a long season chasing your tail on that one. Also for what is worth run your scan light full time when night hunting. Its more advantageous for you to do so. Good luck.

Kirk McKendree
++ on what Kirk said.. Countless pics can be posted of successful predator hunts using Foxpro calls..

What lighting system are you using and are you "using the darkness as your camouflage"? Are you spilling light all over yourself and equipment?

Jeremiah

·
Registered
693 Posts
It's not the foxpro ...

I'm not being rude, but something is flawed in your setup (wind, location, calling sequence, movement, noise, etc)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not saying I dont like my caller, I think it sounds great but what Im gettong at is I havnt changed much between last year and this year. I dont mean to sound like an [censored] when I say im not doing anything wrong, but its confusing as to why what worked last year well is not working this year. Last year I did very well by MY standards and yes I am frustrated but im not blaming anything inparticular... Just two nights ago I was out sitting across a feild with the wind blowing in ny face, played my distress calls sparingly like I have been, for about 25min sxanning the whole time... nothing showed but I had a strong feeling they were around. Before I gave up I played thw fmale long/deep howls I like and a whole pack started howling directly across the feild right were I thougt they would be. sat for 20 more mins nothing so I left. The reason I am frustrated with it is because this same thing has happend a dozen times this year. being that they are within 100yard of me the whole tine and never responding to any distress calls but howling back to my howls is wierd. Im not saying my phony sounding homemade caller would work vetter its just I had many more responses to the distress calls with it. Im starting to think what jayson said about calling too loud may be an issue. Iv noticed the speaker is very directional and what might not sound hardly loud to me sitting behind it maby be much louder on the other side, because if you lets say play it on 5 and point it awat from you then turn it towards you it is wayy louder. My other caller played aound more 360 so it must me easier to judge the actual volume of it. Not that is a bad thing just that it may be a problem. Although I cant figire out how much a diff that makes in a large area being that I am not blasting it as is. my lights are a noxx red dagger for scanning and a kill light 250 for my gun. Iv been running the scan constanly in tge right areas. I am not lighting myself or anything really aound me up while doing it. so who knows.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
swpa87 said:
Im not saying I dont like my caller, I think it sounds great but what Im gettong at is I havnt changed much between last year and this year. I dont mean to sound like an [censored] when I say im not doing anything wrong, but its confusing as to why what worked last year well is not working this year. Last year I did very well by MY standards and yes I am frustrated but im not blaming anything inparticular... Just two nights ago I was out sitting across a feild with the wind blowing in ny face, played my distress calls sparingly like I have been, for about 25min sxanning the whole time... nothing showed but I had a strong feeling they were around. Before I gave up I played thw fmale long/deep howls I like and a whole pack started howling directly across the feild right were I thougt they would be. sat for 20 more mins nothing so I left. The reason I am frustrated with it is because this same thing has happend a dozen times this year. being that they are within 100yard of me the whole tine and never responding to any distress calls but howling back to my howls is wierd. Im not saying my phony sounding homemade caller would work vetter its just I had many more responses to the distress calls with it. Im starting to think what jayson said about calling too loud may be an issue. Iv noticed the speaker is very directional and what might not sound hardly loud to me sitting behind it maby be much louder on the other side, because if you lets say play it on 5 and point it awat from you then turn it towards you it is wayy louder. My other caller played aound more 360 so it must me easier to judge the actual volume of it. Not that is a bad thing just that it may be a problem. Although I cant figire out how much a diff that makes in a large area being that I am not blasting it as is. my lights are a noxx red dagger for scanning and a kill light 250 for my gun. Iv been running the scan constanly in tge right areas. I am not lighting myself or anything really aound me up while doing it. so who knows.
Maybe someone else is hunting this same area and the animals are wise to your calling. Try something new or find a new spot.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I believe Buk_Huntir hit the nail on the head. You can't keep going back to the well and expect it not to dry up. If you are indeed hunting 3 nights per week, every week you had better be hunting about 50 different spots or you have long burned them out. These aren't dumb animals that will just keep falling for the same tricks. Good luck to ya,

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing is I only hunt the same spot maby once every three weeks or less, all my spots are 40 miles atleast apart and iv never seen anyone eles, but they could be. I would think if it were overcalled then I would have atleast seen or had reason to think there might be anyone hunting where Im at. although coyotes travel a good bit they probly have seen people in other places. Im thinkin about hunting deep in the woods during they daytime when I can. If they are being called at night then maby that why I cant get them into the open. last year I hunted mainly logging roads in the woods at night, this year iv been hunting large open areas thinking id atleast get them to tye tree line. I shoot a 204 and wouod think id atpeast get them in range of that gun. I think they key may be to get into there comfort zone. I see alot of tracks in the middle of tye woods when im squirel or deer hunting. I mean people every year shoot tyem in deer season during the day in the woods without even calling. Iv seen two in tye woods behind my house in the day time. what do you guys think about that? and I only titled this thread the way I did because I knew it would get responses. I wasnt trying to knock the foxpro.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I believe it's how you utilize your calls. That being said, in SWPA the pred hunters I'm familiar with who successfully harvest yotes/cats each year aren't using a FoxPro...
A FoxPro will work to lay down 'yotes sure, but it's in the name itself. The guys out east use it because you can easily kill 3-5 fox a night. Not the case in SWPA for sure.
People get too caught up in the same sounds such calls produce, thus educating them more than you want to. Like you said, you had your best luck doing something what others new to pred hunter wouldn't do...used your homemade call and thought outside the box, not let your call play the same set of sounds for X amount of mins.
Like I said the FoxPro will call them in, so will the Johnny Stewarts, etc...but don't become too reliant on that. A lot of pics you see with success in their product aren't from SWPA, and in many cases their product is used primarily out west where the population is much higher than ours and food is more scare due to heavy competition among preds.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
With all of the snow we have had lately have you walked your areas out in the daylight to see if the critters are still there? Why would you change your set-ups in the woods when it has been successful in the past? I would also have to say that your areas are being overcalled by you, other people or the combination of both. Sproul

·
Registered
693 Posts
G.C. Archer said:
I believe it's how you utilize your calls. That being said, in SWPA the pred hunters I'm familiar with who successfully harvest yotes/cats each year aren't using a FoxPro...
A FoxPro will work to lay down 'yotes sure, but it's in the name itself. The guys out east use it because you can easily kill 3-5 fox a night. Not the case in SWPA for sure.
People get too caught up in the same sounds such calls produce, thus educating them more than you want to. Like you said, you had your best luck doing something what others new to pred hunter wouldn't do...used your homemade call and thought outside the box, not let your call play the same set of sounds for X amount of mins.
Like I said the FoxPro will call them in, so will the Johnny Stewarts, etc...but don't become too reliant on that. A lot of pics you see with success in their product aren't from SWPA, and in many cases their product is used primarily out west where the population is much higher than ours and food is more scare due to heavy competition among preds.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I find that comment slightly funny ... I live and hunt South Western Pa, and I've had great success with my foxpro

1 - 20 of 33 Posts