The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when the harvest was down during the traditional 3 day doe season the PGC would extend the season. Is that something they would consider now that doe season in a week long?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I really hope not. This is the less Deer I have ever seen in a Deer Season. Others will say this is the most Deer I have ever seen in a Deer Season !!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would say no. That's the whole reason they reduced doe season to one week, and made it the second week when there are less hunters in the woods to lessen the doe kill.

One thing that gets under my skin is the fact that they extended the cwd areas, now you can buy extra tags for these areas, and also shoot does the first week as long as you bought these extra tags. Why not let us use the doe tags we already purchased and just let us kill does for the first day or two of season!

It just goes to show that if they care so much about reducing the herd to prevent the spread of cwd, why not let hunters shoot them without spending extra money on tags that we already bought!

·
Registered
19,787 Posts
It wasn't as easy as saying "Ok let's add a day or two because of bad weather".
There is still more archery and with the mild weather we are having and crossbows the harvest will hit predicted numbers in the end.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Wow, that's a good one. I have seen fewer deer this year (public and private land)than I have in years. I can honestly say that I heard 0 shots today between two different game lands and 100 s of acres of private land. If we want to continue to have a huntable population of deer in PA we will have to take it upon ourselves to not fill out all of the antlerless tags that are bought. I am not saying don't shoot any, but shoot just one. The hunting heritage for future generations depends on it. Nope, I am not a biologist. Just a guy that's been hunting for 40 years and I see issues. Be honest and think about it.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Hunted local SGL yesterday and shooting was very steady from daybreak up until I left at 11.

I ate my doe tag but not by choice.

You just cannot make a statement like "Don't shoot them, because there are none."

My kid hunted a stand on Saturday and Monday....saw 20+ deer in two morning sits. I hunted it yesterday and saw 0.

An empty sit OR two does not = low (or no) deer numbers

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ever since the three day season was ended and the 2 week slaughter season and now the week season was implemented its been an extended season. Definitely no reason to extend anything. There are plenty of people making a donation to the game commission to see squirrels in the woods during rifle season.

·
Registered
11,281 Posts

·
Banned
813 Posts
243kid said:
I remember when the harvest was down during the traditional 3 day doe season the PGC would extend the season. Is that something they would consider now that doe season in a week long?
Who said the harvest was down ?

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
243kid said:
Very unlikely unless it was just a horrible weather week. The main reason to go to a longer season was to get a more predictable harvest.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Ron pa said:
I really hope not. This is the less Deer I have ever seen in a Deer Season. Others will say this is the most Deer I have ever seen in a Deer Season !!
It was also as warm of a deer season as I can ever remember with the fewest hunters in recent times. I still saw a pile of deer, but those that have seen less, take those 2 factors into consideration as well. Some people that hunt with us passed on doe the entire last week because of the temps, and didn't want to have to immediately take care of them or get them on ice. Most of our guys are old school and love to let them hang and darken up.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Really extended season back in during 3 doe season was only extended due to weather conditions... was only time I could remember them extending season such as snow storm of 92-93 for example.. It was not based on harvest rate being low... In fact they did not receive harvest rates until season was well over...

The deer were ou this year, they didn't walk off the earth... I'm sure everyone had an Odd rifle season... Either was way too warm, not too many hunters were putting deer drives on like they did previous years.... Yesterday we put few drives on the deer were laying down like rabbits waiting to be flushed out...

·
Registered
19,080 Posts
ShedSeeker said:
243kid said:
Who said the harvest was down ?
I will.

·
Registered
19,080 Posts
Concerned hunter said:
why not let hunters shoot them without spending extra money on tags that we already bought!
because its a way for the PGC to make more MONEY.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
That snow we got then on my area came around last Thursday of buck season. The following Monday of doe season most back roads wasent plowed and no place for hunters to even park. I didn't have my cabin then but my grandmothers old house was still there and no way to even get in driveway. Most people who even lived at there hunting area snow was to deep for them to get in to woods. They extended doe season for the entire week and probably still didn't even get close to there numbers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts