The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the cold and brutal weather the past 2 weeks of muzzleloader season and the fact that the deer harvest will most likely be down because of it. Plus the fact that some deer may not survive the cold weather temps and the lack of food sources, It would be nice if the PGA would extend the season 1 week like they did for rifle season when there is a major snow fall in years past........thoughts?......

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Flint season is not a numbers management season, or so some folks keep saying.

Flinters love that season, to get out in the woods when the other hunters are too intimidated by the weather to venture forth. I have been out a couple hours every day.

Slickshot< you are not one of those fair weather flint lock hunters are you?

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Has flintlock season ever been extended? I don't know that I see it happening. The harvest is so minimal in the FL season that I don't think a reduced harvest will have much impact on the overall goals. I would be shocked to see this happen.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I do not foresee any deer mortality to speak of from this cold snap....especially in areas where the snowfall is not very deep. Typically deer fare much better than we give them credit.

I would be willing to bet more deer die from roadway collisions during the cold snap than from the cold snap itself.

Weather forecast says the temps are to be in the 40s and even 50s here in SC PA next week.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
It has been a lot of years since the regular firearms season has even been extended.If y memory serves me back when it was it was because of rain,not snow and cold.

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
In some areas deer have been hunted from mid September. Lots of seasons to take a deer. Deer season will get extended...starting in the the fall of 2018.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
As others have said; it will not happen because the flintlock season/late archery season isn't about harvest numbers.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
With all the cold and brutal weather the past 2 weeks of muzzleloader season and the fact that the deer harvest will most likely be down because of it. Plus the fact that some deer may not survive the cold weather temps and the lack of food sources, It would be nice if the PGA would extend the season 1 week like they did for rifle season when there is a major snow fall in years past........thoughts?......
They will never extend Flintlock season.
The way I have seen things this year I have seen a lot more deer being harvested this year, because hunters are doing a lot of still hunting and the snow is helping. I can't wait for the end results and harvest report.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Flinters love that season, to get out in the woods when the other hunters are too intimidated by the weather to venture forth. I have been out a couple hours every day.

I do have a 50 cal. T/C Hawkin and a stamp, but havn`t had to use it in a while, since I only shoot one deer a season and have been fortunate enough to harvest a buck in archery season the last 8 years. At 70 I can still draw a compound and make that one shot count. Believe me I`ve` spent many a day out in these kinds of conditions in my 58 years of hunting. I was mostly thinking of the Flinters up in the North Western part of the state that have 70 inches of snow on the ground and sub zero wind chills, I`ll bet they would welcome an extra week of Flinting.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

Fair weather hunters? Us? AAAHHHH, heck no,,,:wink2: Zimm, you hafta admit its pretty bad out there. I just heard that the weather service is advising all southerners to stay off the roads and stay inside if at all possible. Northerners are advised to button their coats. :grin2:

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
"its pretty bad out there" all things are relative. It's a balmy 18 degrees out here with a brisk wind. I just got done with the barn chores, feeding and watering livestock. Now I'll get out in the woods for another hour and a half. Much boots, insulated carhart cover alls, a Jone pocket wamer A double layer fleece hood that covers all but the nose and eyes. Don't want to walk too much and get all sweated up.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Zimm, you lucky folks below the border have it good, it is 13 degree now at my house and the wind has been relentless. We were supposed to have a bird hunt this morning at my club. We cancelled it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts