The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Its cool. I won't hunt much that third week. I will concentrate on the first 2 weeks of November. I have been hunting that third week off and on in the SRAs. Action can be very hit and miss with lots of lock down going on. The big boys like that third week though.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
if people learned to shoot better they wouldnt need 7 weeks

God bless you if you can't see the value in that extra week.
It has nothing to do with needing the extra time to kill one. I could be "done" week one every year if I wanted to.

It has everything to do with "The Time"

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has nothing to do with needing the extra time to kill one. I could be "done" week one every year if I wanted to.

Couldn't agree more. It's a blessing to have an extra week to witness this beautiful state during prime rutting time. Great day to be a hunter!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

Then why didn't they just slide the whole season a week and keep it the same length?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You've got to think outside your own fences. Not everybody plays the game the same.
That could be said of every single archery aficionado that fights tooth and nail against any enhancements to the other seasons...

If that later week is "the time" then it logically follows that the 1st week is a "lesser time"... and if extra time is not needed, why have said extra?

(Sorry, just turning the arguments against going fully concurrent in rifle around a bit, and looking for a bit of consistency, which I know is foolish when dealing with the BOC)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I'm grateful for any additional opportunities. I hope it translates into bowhunters taking more antlerless deer, but I fear it will only encourage them to leave their bows on the hanger while waiting for a buck during the three weeks of November. I think if they're going to keep providing additional opportunities to bowhunters "WE" have to become more proactive as a management resource. Perhaps by adding the additional week this will come to fruition, but I have my doubts. It will be interesting to crunch the numbers after this season.

And to think just a few years ago legalizing crossbows was going to be the downfall of the PA archery season as we knew it and the season would surely need to be reduced because of over harvest. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :rotfl: With the amount of bowhunters in PA and the state extending the general archery season just a few years after full crossbow inclusion it will no doubt increase crossbow opportunities across the entire country. A win - win for everybody except the "you're going to shoot my buck" crowd.

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
I'm grateful for any additional opportunities. I hope it translates into bowhunters taking more antlerless deer, but I fear it will only encourage them to leave their bows on the hanger while waiting for a buck during the three weeks of November. I think if they're going to keep providing additional opportunities to bowhunters they have to become more proactive as a management resource. Perhaps by adding the additional week this will come to fruition, but I have my doubts. It will be interesting to crunch the numbers after this season.

And to think just a few years ago legalizing crossbows was going to be the downfall of the PA archery season as we knew it and the season would surely need to be reduced because of over harvest. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :rotfl: With the amount of bowhunters in PA and the state extending the general archery season just a few years after full crossbow inclusion it will no doubt increase crossbow opportunities across the entire country. A win - win for everybody except the "you're going to shoot my buck" crowd.
I support additional opportunities but just roll with the changes without being an activist.I work during the week so this change probably won't benefit me in the least.For those who it does benefit,good for them.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I'm grateful for any additional opportunities. I hope it translates into bowhunters taking more antlerless deer, but I fear it will only encourage them to leave their bows on the hanger while waiting for a buck during the three weeks of November. I think if they're going to keep providing additional opportunities to bowhunters "WE" have to become more proactive as a management resource. Perhaps by adding the additional week this will come to fruition, but I have my doubts. It will be interesting to crunch the numbers after this season.

If I have an open tag and a good opportunity presents itself, flat heads are getting a bolt thrown their way! Fresh tenderloin fried up in some butter with a little S&P....yummy yummy in my tummy. And the venison bologna/summer sausage comes out great as well!

·
Registered
671 Posts
This makes sense especially when we cycle to when archery starts and ends earlier. When it ends on the 10th of November we are missing the best days. Had a tremendous day in the 14 th this year!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Then why didn't they just slide the whole season a week and keep it the same length?
They didn't think they made enough rifle hunters mad with the saturday opener last year. They figured they could get a few more riled up this year.>:)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
One thing to think of...I'd be really careful about shot placement on the new last day. The next day recovery on the last day is another topic in itself, but I guarantee there will now be a higher level of scrutiny if a game warden gets wind of someone hauling a buck out of the woods on the first day of bear season.

·
Registered
133 Posts
[
If I have an open tag and a good opportunity presents itself, flat heads are getting a bolt thrown their way! Fresh tenderloin fried up in some butter with a little S&P....yummy yummy in my tummy. And the venison bologna/summer sausage comes out great as well!
S&P! The choice for me there, bud!

1 - 20 of 372 Posts