The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of ridiculous here, but I have almost a full box of 220 grain round nose Core-Lokt and thought about experimenting a little bit with them this year just because I can. Anyone here ever bother to go this heavy in this caliber and what was the performance like? I saw a few people in the bear and elk section that like this for bear out of their 30-06's. Also, would the typical 1 in 10 twist be ok for them? If anything, I have a few doe tags left that I'd use these on even though there is no need. I can't imagine these would be as destructive as some of the lighter 150's and 165's, and these babies would penetrate!!!!!

Also, what is your experience with the 180 grain round nose Core-Lokt's in the same caliber?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I shot a doe with the 180's and it went flop so was pleased with it. Shoot a few at the range and see how they group.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
The only time I ever loaded 220's for me '06 was for a spring bear hunt in Newfoundland. I loaded Hornady RN Interlocks at around 2450 fps. They were pretty accurate in my rifle, which was a M70 Winchester Featherweight Classic.
I shot around a 250 pound bear at about 65 yards. Slug hit in the chest, expanded, and is still going for all I know. No real extensive damage. Just a normal pass through wound and a dead bear within 10 yards.
They will be just fine for deer and will probably ruin less meat than the lighter bullets.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
They open pretty well on a deer. They also maintain enough weight to plow deep into bigger animals. I've stabilized them out of 1 in 12" twist Aught-Sixes and 1-10". They kick-hard!

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
My dad has a Remington 760 carbine and all he shoots out of it are the Core-Lokt 220's with great success/accuracy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had a box and wanted to test them out as well. Ended up hitting a good sized doe at around 100 yards. I can't remember the exit hole being any bigger but the amount of blood that sprayed behind the deer looked like a red bush on the white snow from the cliff I was sitting on. I don't know if it was where I hit the deer or the ammo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts