The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Expensive 22 ammo?

5K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  cmc5028 
#1 ·
Stopped at a local gun shop today to try and buy some 22 ammo. I usually buy bricks of Federal 36gr hollow points, usually $15 to $20 for 550 rounds. All they had where a few bricks of Remington Cyclone for $50 each!! Are those shells normally that expensive?

#8 ·
The boy & I burn alot of ammo out of our 10/22's

I like many recall what happened in 2008 post election....
I was buying bricks of blazers for $9.99 at the LGS. Then after Nov 2008 election, couldn't find it anywhere, then when it showed back up it was $26.50 a brick, if you could find it. Since then it seemed to have settled to around $16.50 a brick and was plentiful.

Expected it to happen again this past election,
thus I started buying a brick or 2 everytime i see one at a good price since the election. Thru the holidays I was buying bricks of blazers at grices for $16.50 each, and it still seemed plentiful. I was suprised that the run on it didn't seem to start till after the Christmas holiday.

I was in Grices today and the entire rimfire ammo shelves were bare, except for about 20 bricks of federal left at $25 a brick. There was a huge sign rationing - 1 box per family per month.

A friend wanted me to pick him up a box, but i didnt think he wanted to go $25. I texted him afterwards and he said he would've paid it. I went back an hour later to snag one, and they were all gone...

#11 ·
Unlike before it was a shortage, but still plenty of ammo to be had. Now they are shipping out none, none, that are used in many semi autos. I talked to a few ammo manufactors last week and they are not shipping, and they will not say why. Cabellas has no hornady 223 but the company has plenty. Again they would not say why they were not shipping it. What is getting sold is back stock and what stores are shipping back and forth.

#17 ·
YZEATER said:
For those of you guys living under a rock, ammo is scarce, been yhat way for almost 2 months. Walmart gets some in sporadically. Gotta know when. 2 weeks i got over 3k from there.
You bought $3000 worth? All the walmarts in my area have had a 3 box limit for the last month, and the shelves don't have much on them, no 22's at all.

#22 ·
I have a couple of very finnicky target 22's and hivel stuff just blows all over. Need standard vel stuff, which is almost always 2x's the price of hi vel. I stopped at a few shops last December and couldn't find any standard for less than $40 a brick. Then I stopped at Brogue Sporting Goods and I got Norm's last brick of standard vel ammo for $21.00 Takes me 6 months to shoot that much with a single shot.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.