The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small leek patch on my property and want it to turn in to a large patch. Any ideas on the fastest and best way to make this happen. I have been transplanting some in this spot and it seems to be working.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Go looking in known patches late summer and gather seed. Or just dig extra and transplant.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Maybe work up the ground around them right before they seed.The seeds may fall down into loose soil better and grow the next year better than falling on hard ground.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Good Luck, I have been trying for years in different locations. The transplants always come up but they just don't seem to multiply.

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried starting several leek patches, only this one has slowly expanded on its own. The last couple of years I have been digging plants from other areas and putting them there to speed up the process. That does help. My son is going to try and take a broom or rake once the seeds are ready to spread the out a little more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have tried trans-planting them ,but they don't seem to spread. I would try collecting seeds and spreading them throughout the patch. I read that they take 2-4 years to sprout.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
bear king said:
I have a small leek patch on my property and want it to turn in to a large patch. Any ideas on the fastest and best way to make this happen. I have been transplanting some in this spot and it seems to be working.
I've transplanted ramps and they have taken off but it took a good 5 years or more.

If they are like horse radish, just till the area with a good tiller and a small patch grows into a very large one very quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts