The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the results of the rage broadhead, but the price is just too high. Does anyone know of an expandable broadhead that is just as efficient, but not as expensive?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Not an expandable, but try Slick Tricks. Fly like field points, fixed blade, and tough as nails.

As long as they make them, I will use them. Used expandables and won't go back.

http://www.slicktrick.net/

·
Registered
838 Posts
If I have used a few Rage broadheads the season before, I ALWAYS buy a set of new ones for the new season. You owe it to the animal. Don't second guess yourself just because of cost. If that is the broadhead you want, then just buy them.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I got grim reapers for 32

From what I've seen they are all 30 and up for 3

Try arherytalk.com classified section
You can get em used but not shot for a couple bucks less

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You need good strong, sharp broadheads. Half the ones they sell at walmart don't belong in the woods.I've talked several people out of buying them there, they look like they'd fall apart if you looked at them the wrong way. Try the rocket hammerheads, they used to be cheaper than rages, i've shot many deer with them in the past.

·
4,295 Posts
smitz8500 said:
I got grim reapers for 32

From what I've seen they are all 30 and up for 3

Good broadheads are important don't buy ones that will fall apart or not be good on the game you are hunting.

DJS you buy new broadheads every year regardless of if you used them?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
bloodhound said:
DJS said:
You owe it to the animal. Don't second guess yourself just because of cost.
ABSOLUTELY
I'm with you guys on this one. I love those Rage 2-blade heads and quite frankly I hate the price, but I may use up 2 per year....I can swing a $40 a year on heads.

·
Registered
21,374 Posts
hunter21048 said:
I love the results of the rage broadhead, but the price is just too high. Does anyone know of an expandable broadhead that is just as efficient, but not as expensive?
I'm not sure what you mean by efficient but you don't need to blow a huge hole in a deer.It's far more important to make a good shot and use a head that will penetrate completly and stay together.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
They make a mechanical caled Vortex it been around for a while, and has the same two blade cutting diameter as Rage. only thing is they're not cut on contact like rage. Reeve's archery sales them, he said it is still his favorite head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your concerned with the cost of the broadheads and replacing them season to season, they make a Rage Replacement Kit to replace the blades, tips, and O-rings. I do this after I use them and my rages have remained sharp and dependable for the past few seasons

·
Registered
746 Posts
For Rage fans you should be using the best and latest Rage. It's the Titanium Rage priced at $80 for three. Shot placement is the key. I've taken many deer with Thunderheads and they are about $6 per head (as long as you can get good arrow flight with them they are deadly).

·
Super Moderator
13,626 Posts
Thunderheads...The first years I start hunting with them I bought a pack a year until I had five packs. I still kill deer and bear with them. I sharpen my own blades. I haven't spent any $$ on broad heads since the early eighties. They are very accurate and penetrate excellent through the rib cage.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Hunter21048 you got somewhat of loaded question. Specifically, what characteristics of the Rage are looking for in another broadhead. Efficiency of larger holes, efficiency of flight,etc. etc. This way your post can be responded to more specific and we dont't get the fixed vs. mechanical or the anti rage rants that do and will occur once again this year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts