The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Ram Hemi. I had a Flowmaster 50 series HD on it for a while, then switched to a Super 44.

I was wondering if anyone is running, or knows anyone who is running a Super 10 series.

Too loud?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am running the ten series it is loud but I like it that way you can definitely tell I'm coming its on my 01 Silverado 5.3 liter

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I also have a '06 Hemi, I put headers and a hi-flow Y-pipe, 3" exhaust with an electric cutout, and a cheap NAPA muffler. The 3" and headers make a nice rumble even for the cheap muffler, and the cut out is fun for raising a little heck.

Sorry, I don't have any experience on the Flowmasters, but if I remember correctly, they didn't get you marks on the flow through tests that I had seen.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been doing a lot of research on mufflers and exhaust systems and have learned quite a bit.

Straight through mufflers are not the best choice unless you are running high horsepower.

I have also heard that those flow tests aren't a good measure for muffler performance. They are done on a flow bench with a steady stream of air that is room temperature. Exhaust gases come through the system in pulses and are extremely hot. The idea behind the chambered, scavenging systems are that they help to create a greater vacuum that helps pull the exhaust gases out at a higher velocity...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I don't know about all the reasons behind it, but I see better 1/4 mile track times with the cutouts open, free flowing.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Bucket said:
I don't know about all the reasons behind it, but I see better 1/4 mile track times with the cutouts open, free flowing.
Open headers will gain you somewhere around 10-20 HP at the rear wheels..........

.........and lose you $300-$400 if you open 'em on the street.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
You may gain horses, but you will lose torque at low RPMs.
I notice that a little, but to be honest, not enough to worry about. It isn't in the low RPM's that long at the track.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts