The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out for the first time turkey hunting this year. I probably won’t have any luck as I didn’t do much scouting. But it’s better then sitting inside. I am hunting sgl’s pike county area.

Question. Is it illegal to pull over try and get a shock gobble.. drive pull over.. etc? To try and find the birds? Is this at all effective?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You don't need to have scouted yet. There will be a lot of movement between now and the season. Fields are starting to grow and turkeys will be moving to different feeding areas. Get out at first light and listen in likely areas a couple of days before the season or make some loud crow calls to get a gobbler to sound off. Then once you have found some birds, decide where you will go opening day.

As for driving around and gobbling and it's legality, I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
13,514 Posts
Don't be too discouraged. It was a long time ago when I started spring gobbler hunting. My first three Springs I made 4 hunt totals 2-3 hours from my home and took 3 gobblers in three springs on SGL with no scouting. There are a lot more turkeys now than there was then. For the record I haven't actually maintained that pace over the past decades.

Only saying stay positive, get out early, listen, locate and set up. Still plenty of time to scout as 35 outlined above.....

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
The letter of the law will tell you it's illegal to drive your vehicle around to try to locate a gobbler, either by sight or sound.
However, many many hunters do just that during the season, especially later in the morning when your first spot didn't pan out.
It is certainly an effective way to locate birds, but just because you don't hear one doesn't mean there are not birds there. I have watched strutting turkeys break strut and stand totally motionless when they heard a vehicle coming down the road and slow down or stop. Guys would get out and call, the birds remained silent and motionless, and the guys would get back in the vehicle and drive away. Then birds would resume strutting. Pretty comical to watch.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The letter of the law will tell you it's illegal to drive your vehicle around to try to locate a gobbler, either by sight or sound.
However, many many hunters do just that during the season, especially later in the morning when your first spot didn't pan out.
It is certainly an effective way to locate birds, but just because you don't hear one doesn't mean there are not birds there. I have watched strutting turkeys break strut and stand totally motionless when they heard a vehicle coming down the road and slow down or stop. Guys would get out and call, the birds remained silent and motionless, and the guys would get back in the vehicle and drive away. Then birds would resume strutting. Pretty comical to watch.
Yep. They have a reputation for being dumb, but they are incredibly fast learners.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Question. Is it illegal to pull over try and get a shock gobble.. drive pull over.. etc? To try and find the birds? [/QUOTE said:
Discussion about this particular law has probably taken up more internet bandwidth on this site than any other topic with the exception of Sunday Hunting and Antler Restrictions.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion about this particular law has probably taken up more internet bandwidth on this site than any other topic with the exception of Sunday Hunting and Antler Restrictions.
The answer to the OP is yes it is illegal, it is using a motor vehicle to hunt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up a benelli super nova and got a Indian creek black diamond choke for it.

Will get out and pattern different rounds this week.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I've been turkey hunting for 2 years, and I'm pretty terrible at it. BUT, I have gotten birds to communicate with my calls and have come close to sealing the deal. I hunt some SGL's for birds and honestly like others have said, wait until the week before the season, go out early in the morning and listen. Hike around and see where the birds are roosted and then where they move to. You will get a good idea of where to setup based on those two things.

·
Registered
607 Posts
As other have said, find some areas where you're hearing gobblers and try to set up on them early in the day. If you're getting responses but nothing shows up hang tight. I can't even tell you how many times I thought I was on a bird, saw nothing for three hours, and as I go to get up around 11 there's a turkey standing behind me. Otherwise, cover ground in the late morning and if you hear a gobble get set up. I don't have the ability to work difficult birds, it's all about finding a bird that wants to dance. For me, that's early morning toms that like to talk or late morning toms that like to talk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts