The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,212 Posts
It pains me to even look at see through mounts. Plus why in the world would someone with a regular hunting rifle for big game need more than the ole standard 3-9x40? I've heard the arguments before. Don't want to hear them again. Some people have just convinced themselves that more is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,781 Posts
Agree 100 %.....Did you ever jump a deer, and then try to get on it while looking through see-thru mounts??....Can't be done.

Also agree on the 3x9...If you need more, then the animal is too far to shoot at anyway...A few months ago, a bunch of long range enthusiasts were extolling the virtues of extra large powered scopes, and trying to convince the local-yokel Pa. hunter that he needs one on his Remington 7600....I had a good time on that thread!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Using the see-thru mounts was a royal pain on a 760 I used to own. They lasted one season and are now resting in the closet. Why put on something that keeps you from getting down on the stock properly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
In all the years i spent behind the gun counter. I never tryed to talk anyone out of see-thru mounts. I explained the disadvantage of these mounts but most guys didnot want to hear about them. So i let them find out for themselfs. It is hard to change someones mind when it is already made up. That is a very good read. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
Ya good read. I've always tried to use lowest rings since i startedusein scopes. 3x9x40 is IMO THE HUNTIN SCOPE... Chuck guns another story for me more power. See through mounts make me sick. Today's quality of scopes and 3x you can shoot point blank IMO...later
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the article Barsness also makes it clear why a 50mm objective lens may not be the best route to go since it magnifies any cant in your aiming and will put your shots off the mark.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
39,022 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
It pains me to even look at see through mounts. Plus why in the world would someone with a regular hunting rifle for big game need more than the ole standard 3-9x40? I've heard the arguments before. Don't want to hear them again. Some people have just convinced themselves that more is better.
I agree 100%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,466 Posts
I'll go with a 2X7 over a 3X9 for PA hunting. I also mount it as low as possible. The 2 power gives me more field of view in thick cover and the 7 power is more than enough for long range. Heck I killed a ground hog one time at 400 yards with a 257 Roberts set on 7 power. Will admit it took 2 shots cause I under estimated the yardage on the first shot.
I have a Remington pump that wears a 1X4, have killed more deer with that rig than any other gun I own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
Ya Mike your right with the 50mm don't see the need plus just push'es scope up higher. And the 7x on a 400 yd. grhog I applaud you.....later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Hate the see-thru too, but like the 50mm for the light it brings in (Lpld VX-III. That said, only have one while the rest are 40mm's. Still hate the see-thru's!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,212 Posts
Coureurs De Bois said:
I'll go with a 2X7 over a 3X9 for PA hunting. I also mount it as low as possible. The 2 power gives me more field of view in thick cover and the 7 power is more than enough for long range. Heck I killed a ground hog one time at 400 yards with a 257 Roberts set on 7 power. Will admit it took 2 shots cause I under estimated the yardage on the first shot.
I have a Remington pump that wears a 1X4, have killed more deer with that rig than any other gun I own.
I agree 100%. It's just that the 3-9 is sort of the standard anymore, and the upper end for big game normal range hunting rifles.

For quite a few years I used a straight 4x40 Nikon. There had only been a couple times when I wanted more power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,781 Posts
Unless you belong to one of those 1000 yard clubs, how often do you even crank your scope up to full power??..I have about 25 of the 3x9 scopes of my guns, and 99% of the time I have them on 5X.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,212 Posts
Big Ken said:
I have about 25 of the 3x9 scopes of my guns, and 99% of the time I have them on 5X.
Me too. Only a couple times I cranked it up. My 3-9's are normally on 5x too.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big Ken said:
Unless you belong to one of those 1000 yard clubs, how often do you even crank your scope up to full power??..I have about 25 of the 3x9 scopes of my guns, and 99% of the time I have them on 5X.

Even while antelope hunting I don't bother with more than 7X.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top