The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My old Parker Safari Magnum gave up the ghost this past season. And of course the life time warranty died when Parker closed their doors. But I can not complain it was about 25 years old! So I have been thinking about an Excalibur crossbow due to their simplicity and warranty. Here are my two questions:

1. Any one who owns one or has owned one what is your experience this these crossbows? Where they good quality?

2. Just had open heart surgery in December. Are these crossbows hard to cock? If so would a crank be worth the money?

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
I own 2 Excaliburs. One is the older style wide Vortex. That has been bulletproof. I also own a Matrix based Bulldog 400. That model is not as narrow as the newer Micro series. I did have a limb issue with the Bulldog but Excalibur got me out a new set of limbs.

The Micro series has had some limb issues. Mostly when they first came out a few years ago. Their reliability seems to have gotten better but limbs are always a concern with the super high poundages that some of the new Micros have.

Are they hard to cock? Yes. Very much so. It is everything I have to cock my Bulldog with a rope cocker. If cocking is a concern, I would certainly consider the Excalibur crank which is a very nice crank.

Have fun!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have 2 Excalibur x-bows , A Matrix 380 and a Micro 335 . Both are great bows and I have not had any problems with them. They can be bear to cock, however I have crank cocking devices for both and they are much easier. The cocking devices are well worth the money .

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a Vortex that I bought when they were first allowed for general use. I have had no issues with this x-bow. Don't have any experience with the crank device.

Reactions: Laylow

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
You have a great xbow. Warranty is still good. Never used a crank yet. Check Excalibur forum. Lots of good information. You'll never wear that one out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love my Excalibur. I have a 335 micro. Have had no issues in the 4 yrs. I've owned it. The crank might be worth it for you.

·
Registered
435 Posts
When I looked for a xbow 2 years ago I had the same thought as you about simplicity. Then I shot one, very noisy. That was a deal breaker for me. Went to multiple shops, shot many different bows. My priorities were quiet and good trigger. I bought a Mission 400. Quiet and 2nd best trigger of all I tried. Downside, 175 lbs cocking and I did not want a crank. I can handle it for a half dozed shots at a time, I am not a big guy and At 73 not a strong guy. They do have a crank if you desire it. Give it a look. Accuracy is amazing. Shoots in the same hole at 30 yard shot after shot. It's actually boring to shoot.Good luck.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If I was going to buy a new X bow I'd look at one of them 10 Point reverse limb bows, I have an Excalibur Exocet that's probably 20+ years old that I gave to my grandson and a couple years ago he said the limbs were getting pretty weak. As far as the newer Excalibur X bows I don't know, heard good and bad but I guess you'll have that with anything these days.
I always did like the simplicity of the Excalibur though.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Excalibur. I think they are great bows and would recommend to anybody to check them out. Everybody has their own personal wants and needs. I like the simplicity and the quality, not to mention they shoot great. I currently have a micro 315 and plan on getting my son the same bow when the stimulus check shows up. Excellent bow for the money. No need for anything faster, every deer I shot was a pass thru.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts