The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting victory shafts and 100 grain thunderheads. 20 yards is good but beyond that its all over the place. I can shoot with field points and it graet even to 50 yards. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
If your field tips are grouping good to fifty yards, got to be the broadheads or front of center balance. If you have brass inserts up front(which you probably do) your FOC is good.

Buy some G5 Strikers, Spitfires, Sonics or Slick Tricks and I suspect you will see much improved groups.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i have a excalibur phoenix . i bought gold tip bolts for it it shoots these great with fp's,125 thunderheads and mx3 muzzy 100's. i lined up the broadhead blades with the flecthings via the rubber washers. are you using the right flat nock bolts ? using a rope cocking device ?

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Probably good to look at the Thunderheads first as mentioned previously. Spin tested, square to the insert are examples.

Also, some cock the Axiom by hand. If doing so, A very slight off center cocking stroke will throw broadheads off as the distance increases.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im using a cocking devise. I do have the brass inserts. I ordered the arrows from arrowhead so I don't think the arrows are the prob. I have ordered some g5 strikers and see how that does. I have a seperate question about the news string silencers from excalibur. I cant think of the name of them but should they be about 1 1/2 from string when relaxed?

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
nharrison said:
I do have the brass inserts. I ordered the arrows from arrowhead so I don't think the arrows are the prob.
No problem with the arrows then. Good quality arrows for sure that have been proven to work in Excaliburs. They fly great in mine.

I have ordered some g5 strikers and see how that does.
Good choice for crossbows.

I have a seperate question about the news string silencers from excalibur. I cant think of the name of them but should they be about 1 1/2 from string when relaxed?
Most prefer just a tad of clearance between the stop and the string. That is how mine is set up.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
1 1/2 inches then yes, I would say way too much. Most prefer just a hair of space between the string and stops.

Excaliburs are one of the louder crossbows. That is true with most recurve style crossbows but the Axiom will be quieter than some of the heavier excals.

The deer don't seem to mind much if you take high percentage shots.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Yes, twists can be added or taken out to get the proper spacing. Just remember that that will change the brace height and may affect point of impact. I like about 1/8 inch of clearance.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The G5 Strikers should fix you up. If not give me a call and we will talk it through. You should be getting 2 inch or 3 inch - three shot groups at 50 yards with that setup.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the help. My string has min twists as it is from factory. I think untwisting would make brace height less Right.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do I get them to do that? The string looks to have very little twist as it is now. what do I need to do? There is no adjustment on the silencers themselves.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
mark your sting on each sid of the rail when not cocked. After cocking look at where the marks are on the rail in the cocked position. Your string may be off center when the bow is cocked.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
nharrison said:
How do I get them to do that? The string looks to have very little twist as it is now. what do I need to do? There is no adjustment on the silencers themselves.
Usually letting it cocked overnight will do the trick. You want to keep some twists in the stirng.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts