The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2009 when Full Inclusion was passed I bought a new Excalibur Exocet 200 crossbow. I shoot it occasionally for target & never hunted with it. It's papers says it rated 330 fps. I see Excalibur discontinued the Exocet 200 in 2014. I'm thinking of crossbow hunting next season. Any thoughts with all the major improvements to the crossbow....should I consider upgrading. Also...will Excal still have Exocet 200 parts now that it's been discontinued?
Appreciate any input/thoughts!!:smile2:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the same X bow. As far as I know there are still parts available for all of heir X bows. If you go on the Excalibur web site they have a customer service number. I have used the number in the past as 2 of my x bows are Excalibur's , and they are very helpful . The only reason I upgraded was to get one that was faster and one that I was able to use in a ground blind . I went with Excalibur because there is little that can go wrong with the bow as compared to other brands. When I'm hunting I take a extra string with me just n case it were to break , which has never happened.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I would have no problem using your crossbow for hunting and would use it for as long as you can. Why spend money on a new bow unless you want to use your old bow as a spare.

·
Registered
8,829 Posts
Loggy,

Your Exocet should still serve you well if it suits your style of hunting. The major differences between what you have and the newest models is the newer ones have a better trigger and narrower limbs, plus an anti dry fire mech. Other than that the design is basically the same. The narrow limbs of the new models have obvious advantages, but along with that have come some reliability problems. Customer service is excellent.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Old Excaliburs - wide, loud, easy maintenance, and not so fast. But bulletproof and easy to cock.
New Excaliburs - still pretty wide, still loud, easy maintenance, and faster. But not so bulletproof and a bear to cock.

Personally, if you don't mind the slower speed of the Exocet, and have no strong desire to upgrade, I would stick with it.

·
Premium Member
23,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much guys for your fine input!! Sorta leaning towards giving it a year in the woods this next season. I did add the Excalibur S5 String Shock Sound Suppression System which did reduce the noise a lot. It seems to be built like a tank.

·
Premium Member
23,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice Blackpowder!!:thumbs:

How long have you had your Exocet 200 & what broadheads do you like??

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Nice Blackpowder!!:thumbs:

How long have you had your Exocet 200 & what broadheads do you like??

I am thinking about 4 or 5 years, I think. I bought it for my son and that was his first buck with it. he is shooting rage BH's, not sure which one's, I will ask him and see. he shot it at 30 yards and the deer went about 40 yards, complete pass through and I have never seen a blood trail like that, unbelievable!

·
Premium Member
23,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought some 100 grain Slick Trick Magnum(4 blades) when I got my crossbow. Plan to test how they fly.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Back in 2009 when Full Inclusion was passed I bought a new Excalibur Exocet 200 crossbow. I shoot it occasionally for target & never hunted with it. It's papers says it rated 330 fps. I see Excalibur discontinued the Exocet 200 in 2014. I'm thinking of crossbow hunting next season. Any thoughts with all the major improvements to the crossbow....should I consider upgrading. Also...will Excal still have Exocet 200 parts now that it's been discontinued?
Appreciate any input/thoughts!!:smile2:
You have a great xbow. Excalibur will take care of you with any problems. I hope you wear it out but I don't think you will. Good luck on the elk.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Thanks much guys for your fine input!! Sorta leaning towards giving it a year in the woods this next season. I did add the Excalibur S5 String Shock Sound Suppression System which did reduce the noise a lot. It seems to be built like a tank.
They have been discontinued, but you would still be able to get parts as all those old bows had the same limbs, triggers, etc. Even if you upgrade, I would keep it as a backup. Those old Excal's resale value isn't high and truthfully you can't get a better backup bow than them as they are so reliable.

·
Premium Member
23,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a great xbow. Excalibur will take care of you with any problems. I hope you wear it out but I don't think you will. Good luck on the elk.
Thanks Laylow. Been tuning my 6.5 Swede for any possible 200 yard shots. If I miss assuming a shot opportunity.... blame ole Loggy!! Heading out Friday for a hunt I've been dreaming about for many years!!

·
Premium Member
23,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Laylow. Been tuning my 6.5 Swede for any possible 200 yard shots. If I miss assuming a shot opportunity.... blame ole Loggy!! Heading out Friday for a hunt I've been dreaming about for many years!!
Best of luck Loggy!
Thanks much Steve!! Maybe I'll hire you as a Ghostwriter for writing-up my hunt report as your's are second to none!!:smile2:
All my contacts with Elk County Outfitters re booking.... including friend recommendations has given me the feeling that I went with the best for the hunt of a lifetime!!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
GREAT bow I shot around 80 deer with mine. It will do anything the new ones will just have to take in consideration the drop from 20 to 30 at least I did. I would use a fixed broadhead not a large mechanical JMO

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have had crossbows since the 1990s. Older are bigger and slightly slower and sometimes old school camo.
New are lighter faster and pretty to look at but dead is dead. It comes down to shot placement and getting close to deer. I also have way too many bows with no cams, cables or sights and that can be big fun and you can shoot bows made in the 1940s one day and a $2500+ Ravin the next. I say the more the merrier! It’s all bow hunting and anything vintage or handmade that you can use to make meat is going to be as enjoyable to look at all day as the latest greatest and fastest.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I shot a bunch of deer with a Excomag, wide yes but super accurate, complete pass thru on most. Those old Excalibur are great bows.

·
Registered
856 Posts
This pic was taken in 2012 with the Excal. Excocet, 30 yard shot, I was using mechanical broad heads with a 2.25 inch open cutting edge. I was on my way to my tree stand and this guy offered me a broadside shot. The bolt and broad head blew right threw and cut his heart about in half I had a short tracking job with this guy. Sorry about the pic quality.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice Waynzee!!! Looks like a devastating wound there!!!

Do you unstring your Exocet during off season??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts