The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my turnip/rape plot from last year just got a load of horse manure dumped on it and spread with my atv/bedspring. I have a bag of the evolved harvest throw and grow that I won at a gun bash last year. I think I am going to seed it and give it a try. What should i except. Bag says it contains tetraploid annual ryegrass, Rangiora Rape and berseem clover. Bag says it can be planted in the spring. I am concerned about the rape dying out in the hot summer. Don't know anything about the tetraploid ryegrass either.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
RoosterBooster used that blend, I think, and may not have been thrilled about that ryegrass.

If you plant it, I'd go more for a late summer planting.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Never tried that product but I would be concerned about getting alot of weeds from the manure.
Good luck!!! let us know how it does for ya!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I planted it and wasn't impressed. The stuff grew close to two feet tall and I don't know that the deer even bothered with it. I guess it was the rye grass that took over and grew so tall and ultimately the rape and clover went unnoticed. When I planted it we plowed and disked and did more work than what a throw and grow seed probably needed. Maybe mowing the plot would have helped.

·
Registered
855 Posts
2 d bandit said:
JD3: if you mow the throw and grow will it grow and come back like clover or is it a waste of time?
I thinking mowing the plot would have really helped. I planted a different larger plot that was a mixture of clover and mowed that and it grew great and is still a plot. With the throw and grow having the clover and rye grass I cannot see where mowing it would hurt. I think the deer would have utilized this plot if it had been mowed. I may try throw and grow again in a different area simply because it is cheap and I think some crop is better than no crop.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
RoosterBooster used that blend, I think, and may not have been thrilled about that ryegrass.
CORRECT!!!

I used it my first year, and man did it green up nice...my recommendation... "Throw" it in the trash and "Grow" something else
, I can give you pics of what that plot will look like in year two , I would rather of had it been goldnerod again when it came time to work it in year 2.

Not to be unfair to Evolved...I did like Snot Plot.

Now I go to to Hilltop seeds, and request my own mix, see banner above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts