The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some research on "throw and grow" food plots, and what was available in my local stores, I purchased some Shotplot food plot mix a few days ago. What sold me on it was the high percentage of rape brassicas (69.71%) and trurnip (29.51%) along with the lack of rye grass (none). I am very excited to finally be able to plant a food plot (albeit a small one) and place some mineral stations. This property I stumbled upon has some very promising deer (I lost multiple photos of a huge 9 point and two eight points). I do have a few questions I would really appreciate answers to. I plan on planting once in the spring and again sometime in the summer for fall hunting. When would be the best time to plant in the spring and for fall hunting? In addition to the recommendations on the package, is there anything I can do to help my food plot? Thanks!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Shotplot is best in the fall. Deer don't really start to use it until after a couple frosts. Sring seeded Shotplot is a waste (although groundhogs love it). I love Shotplot, its one of the best mixes out there. If your plot was bigger I would suggest mixing wheat or rye (grain not grass) with it. Thats my main fall mix.

Seed it mid to late Aug. Lime heavy before planting and topdress with some nitrogen rich (but watch don't burn it) fertilizer mid September. Shotplot like full sun too. Not shade tolerent at all..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts