The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buffalo bore released a new line of 190 gr 30 30 rounds. I bought a box for bear season and never saw a bear so I used them for deer. I hit a 125lbs doe at 130-140 yards and was sadly disappointed, the bullet did put the deer down but didn't go through (bullet hit high shoulder). It makes me wonder if I did shoot a bear would it have given me the penetration I would have needed? Was this just a bad bullet or do they all need more juice? Anyone ever shoot these?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
In the end its still a 30-30...130-140 yards and a 190gr bullet...it didnt have tons of energy left.......then it hit heavy bone...

Dont know what bullet is used in that load...but it probably performed as it should have...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I carry buffalo bore 305gr Hard Cast for Bear Protection. These are a +P Load in a 44 Mag.

I hope to have better results if I ever have to use them on a Griz. Hard Cast are suppose to go from his brain to his rear, with minimal expansion.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Read about those 30/30 loads.....190gr at around 2000fps....looses its energy fairly quickly...off the top of my head it was under 1200ft/lbs at 150yds...some say thats about the "cut off" on effective deer bullet energy...1600ft/lbs at the.muzzle....probably good for a 30/30 round....but, its still a 30/30 round...not saying it wont kill bear....just saying with the numbers it produces i am not surprised that it didnt blow through 3 or 4 deer as they claim it would lol....they hyped up that description a bit

·
Registered
18,717 Posts
I think that your results are acceptable given the caliber being 30/30, the shot over 100 yards, and bone being hit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts