The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While making a set in the dark by myself I managed to get my hand caught in a double spring 110 Conibear trap. Lucky it was my week hand. I managed to get it off fairly quickly using my boot and strong hand. Glad there wern't any children around to hear me!

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
a 110 with 2 springs is a 120. they make a safety that goes over them. i dont use it for 110 or 120 but always use one now on anything bigger since i joined the 330 club.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yikes!!! Thats gonna leave a mark!!!! Lol. Been nailed by every kind a trap i own i think except a 330 and i don't want to ever experience that!!!! Those cheap little safety latches work nice. I always seem to do it when my hands are cold. Makes it feel worse! It won't be the last time if you stick with it.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Didn't get caught as in stuck caught. But I got snapped across the meaty base of my right thumb with a 330 one day. The good news is I was working bare handed in the water on a 0 degree morning when it happened. The bad news is that I had the truck running right above the culvert with the heater blasting on max. Took me til about a mile down the road before my hand warmed up and I wanted to pull over and cry like a girl. Ended up damaging a nerve that would cause my right arm to feel like it was on fire if I lifted it above my shoulder. Lasted for a few months.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
as a kid 110"s got me lots .as an adult a few years ago a 160 in a box i was setting got me good . took 15 minutes or so to get out .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I'm in the 220 and 330 clubs..........my right thumb still isn't right after 3 yrs. Did have it x-rayed later that day since it had swollen 3x normal size, but wasn'nt broken

·
Banned
275 Posts
No, but I caught the meaty part of my thumb in a 1 3/4 Northwoods and then later in the week, the same thumb just above the nail in a 1 1/2 Duke. My thumbnail is still black and that was over a month ago!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Who hasn't?

I popped myself on BOTH thumbs with a 160 one day. I had to have my dad (Mad Dog 20/20) set me free. I came to the end of the wire quick on that one!

If you don't use the safety catches (the little metal spring loaded things), then at least carry a 4-5' piece of rope with a big loop in one end in your pocket at all times. It makes setting a conibear one handed much easier. You just put the toe of a boot through the loop, then run the rope up through the "eye" of both springs, down the outside of both "eyes" and back up through them. Then just grab the tag end of the rope and pull and it will compress the spring. Super easy. I use this method to set 330s all the time instead of metal setters.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I did use the safety hooks. It was a brand new trap out of the box and when I set the trigger the safety catches kept coming loose. It was hard to notice in the dark. I think once it rusts up some they will stay put better. Good idea about carrying rope for just such an occasion. Caught my hand just above my thumb. When I tried to pull it out it just clamped down harder. It took me a few minutes to get the darn thing off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Last year, I had just got done letting a heron out of a #1 long. He wasn't real happy and made things a lot harder on me then they needed to be. Next trap, a #110 had a muskrat. Got the muskrat out and took my left hand off to set the trap. My right hand was a little more wore out than I thought. Spring sprung and had me pinched by the thumb and middle finger on opposite sides of the trap. Then my left hand from wrestling with the heron, couldn't depress the spring. I sat on the bank for a minute or two telling myself how dumb I was and calling that heron all kinds of names. He was standing about 50 yards away, I assume laughing.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
NRA said:
Yes I did use the safety hooks. It was a brand new trap out of the box and when I set the trigger the safety catches kept coming loose. It was hard to notice in the dark. I think once it rusts up some they will stay put better. Good idea about carrying rope for just such an occasion. Caught my hand just above my thumb. When I tried to pull it out it just clamped down harder. It took me a few minutes to get the darn thing off.
these are what we are talking about. not the safety's on the trap itself. http://www.amazon.com/Pete-Rickard-Mens-Conibear-Safety/dp/B009205B2Q you can get them cheaper i just wanted you to see the pic.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
I had a #2 Duke offset coil spring snap me on the middle finger a couple of weeks ago, had my glove on but pulled it right out when I jerked it back. Just hurt for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Yes sir. Both hands in a 160 while standing knee deep in a creek. Mighty fun when you trap alone.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Left hand across behind the knuckles with a 160 already wired fast and the setters about 30 feet away. Lucky my son was there to get me out.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Bob Jamison said:
I personally believe that a safety should be mandatory equipment when handling 330s. I carry one on a call lanyard around my neck, and use it on EVERY 330 I handle.
2x i also carry on a lanyard just have to be careful which way the current is going or the lanyard can wrap the trigger.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Never a conibear but did get caught in a 4 coiled Montana #3. Worst pain I've ever felt. Couldn't use that thumb for about 2 weeks. Turned the nail completely black and it took till about may to completely grow out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts