The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So without going out and purchasing an expensive meat slicer, I am trying to figure out a poor mans way of being able to cut meat at fairly perfect ¼” slices. Does anyone have any at home strategies for pulling this off without the slicer. I mean, I can get close by hand but it never really works out and I have slices all over the place that are too thick and thin. I wish there was some sort of plastic jig or something else I could use. Anyone do anything special for evenly sliced meat???

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Take a piece of hardwood and make a fillet board. Make the sides stick up 1/4" higher than the center. I have 2 I use for making venison steaks and fajita or jerky meat. One is 1/4" and one 3/8". Coat them with vegetable oil after you wash them each time.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Are you talking about after it is cooked or when raw? If you have a good knife, and I mean a good one that takes a razor edge, it is not all that difficult to cut thin and evenly.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Shooter and Steely have part of what I do. Freeze the meat when raw till it is almost "slushy". I guess that is the best way to describe it. Then take a wooden cutting board (I used a router to remove the wood to the deepth I wanted). Set the meat inside the cavity and slice horizontally . . . bingo your done and save a lot of money. Clean up is a lot better than taking apart a metal slicer also.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Like they said, Slightly frozen. A good tip, if you can't afford good knives, is to go out and get an 8" Rapala filet knife. They hold a good edge and I feel the thinner blade makes it easier. Another tip is not to saw on the meat. Try to make one pass with the knife. The more you saw on it the more it will move around, and make the slices uneven.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
We still don't know if he is talking about raw or cooked meat. If he is talking cookes the freezing is out.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
So without going out and purchasing an expensive meat slicer, I am trying to figure out a poor mans way of being able to cut meat at fairly perfect ¼” slices. Does anyone have any at home strategies for pulling this off without the slicer. I mean, I can get close by hand but it never really works out and I have slices all over the place that are too thick and thin. I wish there was some sort of plastic jig or something else I could use. Anyone do anything special for evenly sliced meat???
There is and it is not expensive as going out and buying a Slicer....

Here...

http://www.sausagemaker.com/32025jerkyboardandknife.aspx

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I have to agree with you on this one woodywoodduck, that slicer looks slick. I may purchase one for next year.

·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shooter said:
Take a piece of hardwood and make a fillet board. Make the sides stick up 1/4" higher than the center. I have 2 I use for making venison steaks and fajita or jerky meat. One is 1/4" and one 3/8". Coat them with vegetable oil after you wash them each time.
This is a great idea.

John, I am referring to raw uncooked and still mostly frozen meat although I cant say it is always perfectly semi frozen due to work and thawing schedules not being on the same page. Even with a sharp knife i still end up with some chunky of paper thin spots and it makes me work harder and pay more attention when smoking. I guess I am not that good at free-handing it.

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
that jerky cutting jig looks slick!!! i might have to get one for the farm...my buddy turns whole deer into jerky sometimes and cuts it all by hand...has the "scraps" turned into burger or whatever else he wants..but he has the same problem..thin and thick spots and hard and chew soft uncooked spots of jerky..

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Trout, for frozen or semi frozen meat I use a thin very sharp cleaver, almost like a chinese cleaver, it works very well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts