The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven't had much time to spend in the woods in the afternoons this year. Honestly I never do much of that anyway; my best chances of killing a bird are hearing one sounding off in the morning. I have a decent idea where birds start off, but no clue where to look for them in the late afternoon. My wife and I are going out tomorrow since the evening is pretty much our last chance of actually killing a bird this year. But with minimal scouting under my belt, I really don't have any clue where to set up for an evening hunt. How do you get onto birds when you don't have time to spend in the woods on a regular basis? I'm open to any suggestions!

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you have a decent idea where they start off in the morning that is where I would start hunting in the evening. They will be in the area.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Not having current scouting info is never ideal. There’s a point where you simply have to put faith in past scouting trips and pray that the area still holds birds. I was in your exact shoes last week when I killed a gobbler sometime around 2:30 PM. Old spot that held birds in the past + some afternoon legwork = dead bird. Called them in just like a morning hunt.

If all else fails and you really have a traditional roost tree dialed in, it never hurts to setup nearby and wait for them to rally before fly-up.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
Can't help much with the afternoon advise. I don't think I have ever hunted after the first 10 days from opening. However, the gobblers were sounding off here around 7:30 this morning.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we did at least lay eyes on some birds. Shame they were hens... well not a shame really, it was still nice watching them for a while. There has to be a gobbler around there somewhere, and I plan to give him a present when I see him.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
In the late afternoon you MUST be in the vicinity of where they want to roost. I've killed three afternoon longbeards and they were all following hens back to the woods to roost.
I had a fourth that I nearly pulled the trigger on. He was coming across a field gobbling to my calls as he was headed back to a traditional roosting area. With just a few steps left until he would have been in the red zone, a Great Horned owl came swooping across the field and that gobbler took off running to the opposite end of the field.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts