The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my check engine light is on the 03 dakota, large leak in evap. The gas cap looks new, it seats well..underneath the hoses all look intact but there cld be a leak anywhere. the black container doesnt look cracked but who knows..the pipe where the gas comes into the tank from the nozzel and the overflow is very rusted possible hole in there? I reset the code but it comes back on should i just go find a garage to do a smoke test and determine if i can fix it? the hole seems it could be anywhere if its not the gas cap. it needs an emmissions sticker here in allegheny county:(

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Had the same deal with my wifes old Stratus...finally the filler neck broke...tada...there's the leak..lol. Couldn't see the rust where it was located until it broke.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Why would you need to get light off for an emissions compliant county? All they do is visual and check gas cap? That's what's done in lycoming county

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the guy in allegheny said that is first thing they look at and if light is on = no pass. Thats what he said anyways. I changed a cracked breather hose and reset the by disconnecting the battery and so far it has stayed off

1 - 4 of 4 Posts