The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get European mounts done 2 bucks my father and I got this year. First should I just skin the skulls and put them in the freezer or should I get them to the person fresh?

Also I would like to find someone within a resonable distance of New Castle, PA to have them done. I would prefer to drop them off in person rather than ship them. I could only imagine the shipping costs.

Is there anyone close to New Castle that has the dermsted? beetles that does the cleaning and whitening of skulls?

Thank you,
frank7ptbk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I am not near you but have you considered doing it yourself? I did one last year with a kit and was very happy with it. Some will tell you that kits don't cut it but I really like the way mine turned out. PM me if you have specific question and I will explain what I did. Good luck

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I'd help you out if I was closer. On average, shipping a deer skull with the meat/hide still on it within state runs roughly 25 give or take. Return shipping can vary depending on size but averages 15-20.

Up to you about skinning. A lot of guys, like myself, charge a little more if the hide is still on. Beetle guys would prefer frozen as it will kill any outside parasites, bugs, etc that can and will bring havoc to a dermestid colony. Dump a skull into the beetles thats been sitting out for a few days and your asking for trouble.

I generally give a price break for multiple skulls.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Here is mine from last year. I took it to a guy near my house, who also did some ducks for me. The price was about 150, which included the 40 for the wall mount plaque.

Also, my antlers both fell off before I had him back to the truck, so he had to do that. I took him the head cut off at the neck, hide still intact. He actually sends his to a guy with beattles.

My Euro mount

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I am getting my archery buck done this week he said it will only take a week i will put pics up when i get it back he is not far from me 15 minutes and new castle is not too far away .

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Loggy,

it was done by Unicorn Taxidermy in Hanover, PA. He also did a pair of mallards in a dead mount, and they looked great!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Loggy, if you are interested, he has a huge steer shoulder mount he wants to get rid of!!

I told him he should sell it to a steak house!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
ChasinTail said:
I'd help you out if I was closer. On average, shipping a deer skull with the meat/hide still on it within state runs roughly 25 give or take. Return shipping can vary depending on size but averages 15-20.

Up to you about skinning. A lot of guys, like myself, charge a little more if the hide is still on. Beetle guys would prefer frozen as it will kill any outside parasites, bugs, etc that can and will bring havoc to a dermestid colony. Dump a skull into the beetles thats been sitting out for a few days and your asking for trouble.

I generally give a price break for multiple skulls.

i can attest to how nice his work is i have had him do 2 skulls already and i am just waiting to get a grey and coyote to send to him, i think my buck from last year is still on his site and the pictures do not do his work justice. you will be very happy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts