The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever experiment with ethanol free gas to see what gains they got in MPG? I just filled up my 2014 Ram with ethanol free today just to see what happens. I've been averaging 11.5 mpg which is much worse than I ever expected for it to get but hopefully the extra price will be worth it.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
The added cost and difficulty finding places isn't worth the slight increase in mileage.
Today's vehicle vehicles are made to run on it so its not a problem for them and I don't know you would see any better MPG savings.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finding it isn't an issue. I drive right past a station every single day. I've heard various feedback from a 30% increase in MPG to a 3% increase. I know todays engines are made to run on ethanol but that doesn't change the fact ethanol free gas has higher free energy than E10. I would think you'd see some improvement. The jury is still out on if the cost is worth it.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I have an ethanol free station within 20 minutes of my house, I don't use it in the vehicles but every piece of small engine equipment I own gets it. I can tell you it makes a huge difference in those engines.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
No stations near me I am aware of? What is the usual difference in price per gal? When we were up fishing on the St. Lawrence people said there was a station just down the road that sold it but didn't say what the cost was?

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
I saw on the news recently that the Govt is thinking about dropping the ethanol program due to the minimal advantages, if any, it has. Can't come soon enough for me!!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ethanol free here is 2.65 a gallon compared to about 2.20 a gallon for E10. I really don't hink the gains will make the price difference worth it in my truck. Small engines on the other hand are a different story!

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
It not only can screw up smaller and older engines.Just leave that puke in your newer vehicle to long and have phase separation and you got one heck of a mess on your hands.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have two ethanol free stations within 30 minutes of the house. I run it in my chain saws, generator, small equipment, etc. I still run regular (ethanol) gas in all my vehicles. The price difference is why.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
My Buddy owns a Dirt Sportsman Modified with a GM crate 602 engine and runs the ethanol free pump fuel exclusively.

·
Registered
830 Posts
good ole boy said:
It not only can screw up smaller and older engines.Just leave that puke in your newer vehicle to long and have phase separation and you got one heck of a mess on your hands.
I had a pickup truck - older S10 - that sat in yard for two years. Was concerned that the ethanol fuel would cause major problems.

Dropped in new battery and truck started & ran like a champ.

Guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
You did get lucky, I left gas in my generator over the winter, inside of the tank had so much rust, I had to replace the whole tank. Was not an old generator, was a 5 year old generac. Never thought gas would do that, but ethanol free from now on for the small stuff. Charlies in Ephrata has it.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Yep,that puke is hdroscopic and [censored] water right out of the air and gets in the fuel tank,carbs,injectors and causes corrosion.I think his trucks issues will crop up.It will absorb enough water from the atmosphere that dry gas will never be able to handle.Plus alcohol based additives need to be avoided as well cause they will multiply the problem.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bearklr said:
Anyone ever experiment with ethanol free gas to see what gains they got in MPG? I just filled up my 2014 Ram with ethanol free today just to see what happens. I've been averaging 11.5 mpg which is much worse than I ever expected for it to get but hopefully the extra price will be worth it.
The only honest way you could compare mileage, apples to apples would be if you completely drained the tank of E 85 before you put the real gasoline in the tank.
It will probably take 2 or 3 tanks of fuel before you run it all out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bearklr said:
Finding it isn't an issue. I drive right past a station every single day. I've heard various feedback from a 30% increase in MPG to a 3% increase. I know todays engines are made to run on ethanol but that doesn't change the fact ethanol free gas has higher free energy than E10. I would think you'd see some improvement. The jury is still out on if the cost is worth it.
It takes 1.5X as much fuel to get the same amount of work out of the E85 fuel as real gasoline.
Anything you save at the pump is absorbed by the mileage. You could probably get another 2 or 3 miles to the gallon by reducing your tire size, reducing your speed, and checking the tire pressure regularly.
Most people do not check the tire pressure regularly, especially in the winter when the air tire pressure drops.
Changing the air filter, using a synthetic motor oil and removing the tailgate of most full sized pick up's will also net you 1 or 2 miles to a gallon.
Compute that over a 4,000 mile oil change, and you can realize a significant savings.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I haven't use EF gas in my taco but it works wonders in all my small engine use.

As far as octane. I only see about 2 more miles per gallon while using 92. My Tacoma likes 87.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Jerbo said:
Bearklr said:
It takes 1.5X as much fuel to get the same amount of work out of the E85 fuel as real gasoline.
Anything you save at the pump is absorbed by the mileage. You could probably get another 2 or 3 miles to the gallon by reducing your tire size, reducing your speed, and checking the tire pressure regularly.
Most people do not check the tire pressure regularly, especially in the winter when the air tire pressure drops.
Changing the air filter, using a synthetic motor oil and removing the tailgate of most full sized pick up's will also net you 1 or 2 miles to a gallon.
Compute that over a 4,000 mile oil change, and you can realize a significant savings.
Excellent advice . I already do all of that , but installed a hard tahneu cover on the bed . 2011 Sierra 5.3 liter , 16 city & 22 highway MPG .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts