The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am re-working a road on my property, it is steep and badly eroded. My plan is to straighten it up so I can access the food plot it leads to with my tractor instead of just the quad (so I can sell the quad equipment). It is poor soil and completely shaded, what can I plant there to hold the soil and perhaps make climbing the hill more pleasant?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Many seed dealers/Agways, have erosion control/forestry mixes. Was just at a dealer in Tioga County and they had their own mix. Not sure how well it'll work under extreme shade, but I used a blend that "took" last year, except where atv's wore a track.

We used a dozer to put waterbars in a somewhat steep jeep road that was badly eroded and then seeded it with the conservation mix. The waterbars really helped, and the grass on the sides has helped hold the soil.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Here is my suggestion on steep roads.divert as much water off the road as possible.Putting in as many water bars as possible,I worked on a project this spring just like your doing.I went along the road hing cutting the unwanted trees
to allow sunlight to hit the road.I also made culverts by sandwiching a heavy pond liner between treated lumber.The treated lumber gets buried with the liner sticking 3"to 4" above ground angling the water off the road.And old converyor belt works fine too.This will bend over when you drive your 4 wheeler or tractor over it.I believe sunlighting the road and keeping as much soil from washing should be your main goal.I am seeing crownvetch creeping into my roads just because it now has sunlight.Here is a picture of the culverts I made.Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts