The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading up to Erie next weekend with three friends. None if us have ever been there. For you guys that go up year after year, what are something's that you guys make sure you have before going up? I personally like to fish minnows. I seen videos of guys using them. How do you guys fish them? Any advice would help us. Thanks!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Oh boy, this is going to be a little long winded so be ready. Water will probably be low and clear so have some 6lb fluro line. A long light action rod is best but use what you have until you decide if you will stick with it. Use a float and run a size 8 or 10 baitholder through the eyes of the minnow with 2 or 3 bb sized split shot wanna get that bait down to the bottom. If the water is low and clear key in on the deeper holes where you cant see bottom. Watch the riffles if you see some darker fish stand up stream and swing your minnow down in front of them and hang on these are the males and they hit fiercely. For floats use the foam ones with the peg or the clear plastic ones with the rubber tubing so you can take them on and off easily. You wont want the bobber for fishing the shallow runs. Stop at a bait shop and get some white egg sacs without the floats in them, just fish these the same as the minnows but just skim the surface under the mesh so your hook point stays exposed for a good hookup. Also some small mini foo jigs tipped with waxies produce well this time of year, black or brown work well. If you need anything else just pm me. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts