The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is what I got: Gerbing Gyde 7V Torrid Men's Softshell Heated Jacket - Camo

I found it on ebay for half price brand new. I wear an under armour or similar shirt as a base layer, then a merino long sleeve, this jacket in the link, then a camo pull over. For bottoms it's merino long underwear and then thin camo pants. My legs don't get real cold so if it's warmer just the thin pants. The pull over is not a hoodie but has a single front pocket like most hoodies and I use hot hands in there. The mega 18 hour ones are the best. The little 8 hour guys are just enough to keep me on stand but not enough to keep me warm.

The heated jacket is worth $100 to me, I wouldn't want to pay more for how effective I think it is but its also low voltage (7v). If I get a different one I think I'll go 12v if I can find one that fits well enough to hunt in.
Ok, ill take a look at them, I had some of the small hand warmers yesterday and it did jack as far as staying warm. A heated coat underneath something sounds like it could be good, I need to do some hunting clothes shopping and figure stuff out now that its getting really cold.

·
Super Moderator
27,445 Posts
The only real changes I made were to my arrows. Went from aluminum to FMJs and stayed with the same broadhead, NAP Hellrazors. Definitely seemed to pick up a few FPS, and accurate. Unfortunately, I still don't know how they'll perform on a deer (the arrows, shot a few deer with the Hellrazors).
I also bought a new pair of Rubber boots, the old Cabela's 800 gram ones that I've had for close to 20 years finally wore out. Noticed it when I wore them fishing earlier this year and ended up with a wet foot. Bought a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Agility. Fit much better than the old ones, and far more comfortable to walk long distances in. And they bind at the tops much better. Those Cabela's would never snug up at the top and they sounded like I was wearing a pair of flip flops!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I've been looking at thumbs for a few months now the biggest draw back I see to alot of them is you need 2 hands to close the jaw on your string loop. On the carter there is a mechanism on the back you can push with your thumb to open the jaws that's the one I'm gunna be buying for next season.
Every thumb release that I've owned with a trigger that you have to cock first is easily done with one hand. While holding the release cock it with your thumb and put it on your string or D-loop and push it closed with your index finger. Just takes a little practice and it will become second nature. There are two disadvantages of a thumb release that I can think of and because your drawing your bow and turning your hand pinky up and thumb down and tucking your knuckles into your jaw bone bulky clothes can interfere with this more than a wrist strap release would. I tuck my collar in on my Woodbury or Sanctuary jacket and if I have a hood over my head and a deer is coming I flip the hood off. The other thing that happens when you make the switch to a thumb release is there are times you will forget to put it on your string. I've sat for hours hunting and happen to look at my bow and my release was in my pack, not good if a big buck walks under your tree.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I switched to a heavy single bevel steel force broadhead. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to see how its performed on a deer yet.
your the first person I’ve heard of using steel force single bevels. I got 2 packs of the 125 grain. First thing I could not believe how well they fleW and tuned. Stacked to 55 yards with my field points.

the two bucks in shot with them were pass thrus and down in 30. Observered the “rotation” and a little more damage to liver and lungs than a regular two blade. Not saying that any other broadhead couldn’t have accomplished this, but just on how well they fly I’m sticking with them.

blades seem straight and I just need to get better at sharpening them.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
can’t keep my eye off that .5
I'd buy it again. To me it's the perfect size with a saddle. Without a saddle I'd hunt out of at a max of about 6' off the ground. It's not roomy as a treestand, but coming from a saddle platform it's like the perfect lovechild of the two styles.

If you've ever seen a loc on windwalker, it's basically the same size, but so much better with the leveling and machined platform.

I took the suspension off a kelty backpack frame and it carries as well as my Mystery Ranch frame packs. Narrow enough it doesn't snag on brush. All the mobile stands including the LW assault area few inches too wide.

Only complaint is due the machining process all the edges are pretty sharp. Some selective paracord wrap took care of most of it, but it's wearing my cambuckle strap where it contacts the post. I need to grind the post down a bit to fix that. I obviously don't mind customizing my gear, but I would think a stand that expensive should have every little flaw like that addressed.

Since I moved on from climbers, into the hang and hunt, and progressing to saddles, I've tried just about everything out there but I think with this stand I have finally found what works best for me.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
That would have to be a helluva stand for 5 bills, wow. I can see the benefit of size and weight for sure though, i stand on a tethrd predator but it is not big enough for me to turn around on silently, my clothing and gear rub on the tree. It's ok if windy enough to cover the sound but on a silent morning that sound will get you busted every time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a total change of gear. I took a 6 point on October 17 with my PSE Dropped- basically a bow madness but different paint.

During the next hunt I noticed a bit of "texture" on the back side of a limb. After inspecting the other 3 I discovered it on another. Had it looked at by a PSE dealer and it was confirmed. No new replacement limbs available. They are replacing the entire bow (More on that later) it's not available until the second week of December. I could not stand the idea of sitting out the rest of the archery season. To the HPA classifieds I went.

I found a Hoyt defiant turbo and bought that. After very minor adjustments, that thing is shooting lasers. I stuck with my Beman whiteouts and NAP spitfires. Besides that, everything else is new. I'm shooting better than I ever have before! Paid dividends already with a doe.

As for the replacement bow, it's a PSE Brute NXT. Upon its arrival, it will be going on the market with an open registration. It's a brand new 2021 model, which is still in the process of being made. Let me know if you know anyone who is interested. Christmas, Hanukah, and Kwanzaa are all coming. Would make a nice gift for someone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Other major changes on my rig include going from the stock PSE stabilizer to a dead center stabilizer, changing from the trophy ridge react sight to a CBE single pin. The last one is moving from a whisker biscuit to a ripcord arrow rest. These all are having an impact on my new bow"s perfomance. Tighter groups than ever before. I took a nock off at 35 yards last week and had to replace some vanes. I'm very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I love my Ripcord rest, I have 11 seasons on it, probably should get a new one to avoid any mid season hiccups but it has served me very well.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
One thing I really need to invest in is rain gear. A tree umbrella is okay but doesn’t do you much good if you get wet before you get to your tree. I also found it to be a pain to set up and would still get wet from water streaming down the trunk of the tree and sideways rain. Not a fan of spending money on quality rain gear but I think it’s time. Also could be valuable for Turkey season and fishing. Nothing worse then getting soaked while hunting. Not to derail the thread but does anyone have any recommendations ?

·
Registered
555 Posts
All I did was redo the trifold seat on my old ApI grand slam. Bought a second one 2 years back but came with a polyester seat which is loud. covered it in TruTimber Ameriseude. Pattern was a lot darker than shown but not really seen while I’m in the stand.
Love being able to fold up my jackets and base layers inside the seat. Bibs have to go between seat and stand but everything is pretty well protected while walking.

·
Registered
555 Posts
One thing I really need to invest in is rain gear. A tree umbrella is okay but doesn’t do you much good if you get wet before you get to your tree. I also found it to be a pain to set up and would still get wet from water streaming down the trunk of the tree and sideways rain. Not a fan of spending money on quality rain gear but I think it’s time. Also could be valuable for Turkey season and fishing. Nothing worse then getting soaked while hunting. Not to derail the thread but does anyone have any recommendations ?
Depending on how far you have to long and how heavy the rain most reliable is Halley Hansen Impertech. That being said it not breathable and will get tore up if you were it through heavy brush. GoreTex is breathable but still will sweat on a long walk and will let moisture in if you sweat and/ or get heavy all day rain.
Best bet I’ve found is buy a dry bag (for kayaking/backpackin and change at the stand. I did thing on a heavy all day hunt in Missouri on a cold day. Probably would have froze if I didn’t do this.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Depending on how far you have to long and how heavy the rain most reliable is Halley Hansen Impertech. That being said it not breathable and will get tore up if you were it through heavy brush. GoreTex is breathable but still will sweat on a long walk and will let moisture in if you sweat and/ or get heavy all day rain.
Best bet I’ve found is buy a dry bag (for kayaking/backpackin and change at the stand. I did thing on a heavy all day hunt in Missouri on a cold day. Probably would have froze if I didn’t do this.
Good suggestion with the bag. I am brutal on my clothing. My Scentlok I bought for the season is already tore up and most places I go will usually make me sweat .

·
Registered
553 Posts
Steel i have a set of mto50 and a set of space rain from cabelas. i . use the space rain more just because it packs small and i am more likely to carry it with me. The mto50 is better for an all day rain but bulky to pack and gets heavy when it is wet, and it takes forever to dry. Space rain drys quickly and works great for 95 percent of pennsylvania hunting

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
That actually is a really good idea. I only hunt in rain if there is a high likelihood of it clearing out with it an hour or two of getting on stand. This would solve a lot of issues.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Steel i have a set of mto50 and a set of space rain from cabelas. i . use the space rain more just because it packs small and i am more likely to carry it with me. The mto50 is better for an all day rain but bulky to pack and gets heavy when it is wet, and it takes forever to dry. Space rain drys quickly and works great for 95 percent of pennsylvania hunting
I’ll add a vote for the MT050 rain gear. It’s a brushed fabric so it’s quiet. Good for days with intermittent rain showers. Good whitetail rain gear. I wear my jacket all the time as my primary early season jacket as well. I also have a set of Sitka cloudburst that I bought on clearance last year for my first out of state hunt. It’s a bit noisy for archery deer unless it’s a steady rain, which I generally avoid in archery.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The only way I've found to hunt in a steady cold rain is two sets of raingear and two sets of baselayers. At lest upper. My legs I can deal, but any water in my neck/core I am shivering quickly. One for the hike in, change into dry ones once on stand. Pack insulation in a dry bag.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts