The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm using a trigger/wrist release at the moment, have a tendency to slap it and pull shots a little, waiting to see what you guys say...

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Been thinking about trying the beast sticks, but was worried about that step & at $100 / piece kinda steep to get one just to try.

I switched to a heavy single bevel steel force broadhead. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to see how its performed on a deer yet.

I did spend some time making sure I had good arrow flight (some of that ranch fairy dust stuff). I do have them shooting to the same POI as my field points.
That's my next step...this year, I just built an arrow with much more FOC (total arrow weight was 562 gr.) and used a Magnus Buzzcut. Just shot a doe earlier this week. Quartering away I hit her just in front of her ham and exited right behind her far side shoulder. Went through like nothing and stuck deeply in the ground. My old set up would have done the same most likely cause I didn't hit anything of consequence, but this was totally silent.
One of the biggest (and best) changes I made was getting a one inch shorter draw length cam for my Switchback. It was something that I only noticed at this time of year with a lot of cloths on in cold weather, but I seemed over extended and it made it hard to draw my bow at times. Shortening my DL was the best thing I've ever done. No problem drawing in cold weather (and I upped my poundage) and it just feels "right" especially with heavy cloths on.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's my next step...this year, I just built an arrow with much more FOC (total arrow weight was 562 gr.) and used a Magnus Buzzcut. Just shot a doe earlier this week. Quartering away I hit her just in front of her ham and exited right behind her far side shoulder. Went through like nothing and stuck deeply in the ground. My old set up would have done the same most likely cause I didn't hit anything of consequence, but this was totally silent.
One of the biggest (and best) changes I made was getting a one inch shorter draw length cam for my Switchback. It was something that I only noticed at this time of year with a lot of cloths on in cold weather, but I seemed over extended and it made it hard to draw my bow at times. Shortening my DL was the best thing I've ever done. No problem drawing in cold weather (and I upped my poundage) and it just feels "right" especially with heavy cloths on.
I've been debating dropping my DL a little and going back up in poundage. Was shooting 62-65 for most of the season but when this really cold weather hit I had no choice but to back it down to 55-60. I was thinking about dropping DL to 28 or maybe 27.5, but upping poundage to 65, just don't want my accuracy to suffer with a shorter draw so I haven't decided yet

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
What is the favorite thumb release since you guys all seem to like them, I thought about starting a new thread but what brand seems to be the go to, any to avoid?

I been saddled up all season and running 4 full length Hawk heliums with rope mods. I may try a cam cleat on one and one stick in the off season to see if I would be alright with it. I like the idea of rappeling after dark, removing the sticks now seems a little tedious
I hunt with a Scott Pursuit and have a Scott Exxus in my pack for a back-up. Both have a firing sear mechanism so there is a click when they fire but with the weight of the bow on them they are a lot quieter than just firing them off the bow. The Pursuit comes with 3 or 4 finger frame extension. I shoot indoors with a Scott Longhorn Pro Brass and both the Pursuit and Exxus have a similar frame to my Longhorn. I am most accurate with the back tension Longhorn but you can't attach it to your D-loop for hunting, plus I use the clicker on the Longhorn with happens .010 inch before the release goes off and not sure about using the clicker for hunting.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You had me at Scott. I shoot an Itty Bitty Goose now with no complaints. The idea of having the release hooked on and nothing on my wrist seems it would be nice for handling climbing sticks and stand silently, sometimes mine gets in the way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went with the Truball T-Rex for my first thumb trigger release. I really like its adjustability at the price point it’s at. I have the 4 finger and it fits comfortably in my hand. I have relatively short fingers / wide palms and not all of the releases I held felt right in my hand. Overall I’d recommend it for a relatively low priced entry point.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm using a trigger/wrist release at the moment, have a tendency to slap it and pull shots a little, waiting to see what you guys say...
Practice getting on the trigger at full draw. You may have to adjust the sensitivity of your trigger to heavier.
Like how you would shoot a gun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been looking at thumbs for a few months now the biggest draw back I see to alot of them is you need 2 hands to close the jaw on your string loop. On the carter there is a mechanism on the back you can push with your thumb to open the jaws that's the one I'm gunna be buying for next season.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been looking at thumbs for a few months now the biggest draw back I see to alot of them is you need 2 hands to close the jaw on your string loop. On the carter there is a mechanism on the back you can push with your thumb to open the jaws that's the one I'm gunna be buying for next season.
The T. rex you just pinch the jaw shut on the loop. No cocking mechanism on the handle. Easy one hand operation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Phil that's the style I didn't care for. I guess if you put the release deep in your palm you could pinch the jaws never tried that while playing with them at the bow shop. I'm sure the more familiar you are with that style the easier it is. I may have to check them out again. What's the price on a t rex?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have had a lone wolf climber for a couple years but never used it, I only used my Summit. This year I started with the LW and never busted out the Summit. I think I might even sell the Summit. I also picked up a heated jacket. It's tight enough and thin enough that I can wear it under my pull over comfortably. My issue is that when it's 20-35 degrees it's just not as warm as I would like so I am looking to add a higher voltage piece for next year. Almost forgot I bought some muzzy fixed blade heads but the only deer I shot I killed with a grim reaper mech, so no review on the muzzy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have had a lone wolf climber for a couple years but never used it, I only used my Summit. This year I started with the LW and never busted out the Summit. I think I might even sell the Summit. I also picked up a heated jacket. It's tight enough and thin enough that I can wear it under my pull over comfortably. My issue is that when it's 20-35 degrees it's just not as warm as I would like so I am looking to add a higher voltage piece for next year. Almost forgot I bought some muzzy fixed blade heads but the only deer I shot I killed with a grim reaper mech, so no review on the muzzy.
How are the heated jackets, never tried one, was freezing yesterday even with a long sleeve shirt, 2 sweatshirts, and my hunting coat, and was still pretty chilly...
Also, what do you guys use for your hands, gloves, heaters, etc. I don't like shooting with gloves but yesterday my hands were so cold I couldn't type...thx

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
The caliper thumb releases are quiet but have more travel and lag time when firing them. The thumb releases with a firing sear mechanism tend to make a click when firing but can be adjusted to whatever tension and travel you desire. Some of the thumb releases can be awkward to load on the D-loop, but the Scott Pursuit seems easy to me. My son bought a B3 Versa and doesn't like it and I also tried it and it felt awkward loading on the string. The Scott Pursuit comes with a wrist strap that I took off because it's not needed.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
How are the heated jackets, never tried one, was freezing yesterday even with a long sleeve shirt, 2 sweatshirts, and my hunting coat, and was still pretty chilly...
Also, what do you guys use for your hands, gloves, heaters, etc. I don't like shooting with gloves but yesterday my hands were so cold I couldn't type...thx
Gray you gotta get rid of the cotton clothes in your layers bud, no sweatshirts. You need a moisture wicking base layer like silk or under armour. Then wool or fleece over that for a second layer. A wind stopping outer layer and you will be much warmer. I wear light gloves but use my pockets still.

Reactions: PhiPatch074

·
Registered
320 Posts
Gray you gotta get rid of the cotton clothes in your layers bud, no sweatshirts. You need a moisture wicking base layer like silk or under armour. Then wool or fleece over that for a second layer. A wind stopping outer layer and you will be much warmer. I wear light gloves but use my pockets still.
Will do, as far as pants go what do you recommend for a second layer...sounds a little ridiculous but had long underwear (under armour) then 2 sweatpants on top of each other, and then my hunting pants, wasn't too bad but is pretty bulky and looking to get a good set of warms clothes

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
When I was hunting southern Ohio last week I ran into a group of hunters from Michigan and they all hunted from a saddle and tie on steps. The one guy showed me his set-up a small platform, saddle and enough steps to go 15 feet. That height wouldn't work for me but all his gear fit in a small day pack. I'm slow to try new things and don't like running with the herd, but do plan on giving saddle hunting a look this off season.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Will do, as far as pants go what do you recommend for a second layer...sounds a little ridiculous but had long underwear (under armour) then 2 sweatpants on top of each other, and then my hunting pants, wasn't too bad but is pretty bulky and looking to get a good set of warms clothes
Get a good set of bibs with zippered legs. You can carry them in and dress before you climb into your stand. You'll never get cold.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wear merino wool base layer and fleece camo pants for a large majority of my hunting. For all day rifle stands I break out my thinsukate coveralls over top.
I wear merino wool base later top, fleece jacket for warmer temps. Add a wool shirt in between for colder temps.
Fleece, wool, and something to block wind is what I go by.

·
Registered
587 Posts
This is what I got: Gerbing Gyde 7V Torrid Men's Softshell Heated Jacket - Camo

I found it on ebay for half price brand new. I wear an under armour or similar shirt as a base layer, then a merino long sleeve, this jacket in the link, then a camo pull over. For bottoms it's merino long underwear and then thin camo pants. My legs don't get real cold so if it's warmer just the thin pants. The pull over is not a hoodie but has a single front pocket like most hoodies and I use hot hands in there. The mega 18 hour ones are the best. The little 8 hour guys are just enough to keep me on stand but not enough to keep me warm.

The heated jacket is worth $100 to me, I wouldn't want to pay more for how effective I think it is but its also low voltage (7v). If I get a different one I think I'll go 12v if I can find one that fits well enough to hunt in.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts