The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
What style Summits are you guys using ? Surprised you dislike them so much. My Open Shot packs really nice and I find it very comfortable. If I take my time it’s quiet setting up but I will make some noise climbing depending on the tree but I can’t imagine any climber would be much different in that regard.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Steel it's been a while and i don't remember the model. biggest problem carrying the summit is it doesn't pack flat and tends to sway back and forth especially when side hilling. I hate feeling like i'm being pulled sideways when i'm walking. Lone wolf packs to 3 to 4 inch profile and rides tight against your back. lone wolf cables adjust a half in at a time also and summit is a couple inches so its harder to get perfectly level, if you haven't tried a lone wolf i would try to if i were you. You will see how much easier it is to pack.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Steel it's been a while and i don't remember the model. biggest problem carrying the summit is it doesn't pack flat and tends to sway back and forth especially when side hilling. I hate feeling like i'm being pulled sideways when i'm walking. Lone wolf packs to 3 to 4 inch profile and rides tight against your back. lone wolf cables adjust a half in at a time also and summit is a couple inches so its harder to get perfectly level, if you haven't tried a lone wolf i would try to if i were you. You will see how much easier it is to pack.
In all honesty I don’t have any swaying issues when walking or getting it level. I don’t even notice it on my back half the time. It does have a bigger profile I guess but I am usually unaffected by it unless I have to turn sideways to squeeze through trees that are close together. Other styles of Summits do seem a little bulky though. I have only ever used the Open Shot.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
My worst sit of the season was in my Lone Wolf Assault 2 . It was in the mid 70’s that day and all I had on me was a 7 ounce bottle of water and 3 granola bars. No breakfast and a all day sit with sun baking my face off. Got down once to move a couple hundred yards. My butt was killing me in that seat and so was my back. Left my flashlight at the other tree and didn’t want to go back and screw the area up so I walked back out in the dark over a mile. A lot of it thick brush and didn’t have any water for hours. Had a million of those little briars that stick into your clothes all over me. Definitely have to get a new seat for that stand.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
The only Summit I will use is the Open Shot. I borrowed my son's Viper once and I felt to confined in that seat and felt like it's hard to stand up, plus I only like to stand while climbing. I have a Lone Wolf Wide flip top and took the sit and climb bar off to save some weight and the Open shot. There are a few things you can do to make a Summit quieter, most of the noise comes from the cable rattling in the aluminum tubing while climbing. Take a stick and wedge it on top the cable were it goes into the tubing will help to keep it from rattling. Summit should line that tubing with teflon or something to suppress that cable rattle. My Open Shot I added lots of silence tape in places to keep rattles down while climbing and walking with it. Also the Third Hand stabilizer straps help keep things tight while walking and once set up in the tree.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Third hand archery bow holder and stabilizer straps on my viper. I didn’t know what I was missing! Also switched to a thumb release and heavy arrows. Love the release but have yet to see the results from the arrows.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
The thumb releases in my opinion are the only way to go for hunting. Attach it to your D-loop and your done, nothing strapped to your wrist. Keeps your hand free to use a rangefinder or grunt tube while your holding your bow.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Got a great deal on a bunch of First Lite gear. Very high quality, and I was able to sit all day sits on some of the colder days with much less layers and I was very comfortable. But, this has been one of the worst archery seasons in my adult life so maybe they are bad luck. Ha

·
Registered
417 Posts
Got what I am guessing was less of a great deal on some new and overpriced First Lite gear. Bought their Solitude set during a 20%off sale. Still very expensive but very nice. Warm and QUIET. Plus their sleeve are long enough for my 6’3” frame. Well thought out garments for archery stand hunters.

First year I’ve not been freezing or felt like the Michelin Man trying to stay warm.

I’ll be in it tomorrow hoping to kill a buck in all this snow.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I switched to a 100% Stan back tension hinge this year instead of switching back to my caliper for hunting season. Only issue I had was letting down after holding at full draw for awhile it's very sketchy especially since there's no thumb peg on it. I might try a Carter thumb release for next year. I tried switching to magnus black hornets before season but my morrel block target has a lost insert and point lost inside it an I hit it with 2 of the Hornets one just bent the tip slightly an the other busted completely apart all I got back was the threaded part of the ferrel so wasn't impressed with there durability an stuck with my rages for this year. An I deffinatley need to buy a new target for next year which sucks because this one is only a year old an I paid 170 for it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My worst sit of the season was in my Lone Wolf Assault 2 . It was in the mid 70’s that day and all I had on me was a 7 ounce bottle of water and 3 granola bars. No breakfast and a all day sit with sun baking my face off. Got down once to move a couple hundred yards. My butt was killing me in that seat and so was my back. Left my flashlight at the other tree and didn’t want to go back and screw the area up so I walked back out in the dark over a mile. A lot of it thick brush and didn’t have any water for hours. Had a million of those little briars that stick into your clothes all over me. Definitely have to get a new seat for that stand.
Check out a Slumper Simple 16 seat. I just pulled a dark to dark sit in my assault. Very comfy.. I could not stand the original LW seat. Then upgraded to LW thicker seat. Still sucked. You
Get a Slumper Simple 16. Just pulled a all day sit in the assault. Very comfy.
I hated the original seat. Then upgraded to LW thicker seat. Still sucked. You can have it if you want.
Only negative of the slumper is it doesn't pack as flat and adds a little weight.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I went with the Hunt Comfort Scout seat on my Lone Wolf flip top. A little heavy and pricey but very comfortable. The scout is not advertised as a tree stand replacement seat but fits great on the LW with a little tweaking

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Does anyone know which First Lite jacket replaced the Woodbury. I know they no longer make the Woodbury and not sure if the Solitude or Catalyst replaced it. With the Sanctuary bibs and Woodbury jacket I'm able to sit all day even on the really cold windy days.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Does anyone know which First Lite jacket replaced the Woodbury. I know they no longer make the Woodbury and not sure if the Solitude or Catalyst replaced it. With the Sanctuary bibs and Woodbury jacket I'm able to sit all day even on the really cold windy days.
Solitude. It may be a bit thinner than the Woodbury though. I have a heavier set of Cabelas MT050 whitetail extremes for bitter cold days. It’s just real bulky. The catalyst is just an overpriced soft shell.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The thumb releases in my opinion are the only way to go for hunting. Attach it to your D-loop and your done, nothing strapped to your wrist. Keeps your hand free to use a rangefinder or grunt tube while your holding your bow.
Yup only way to go. I understand they are expensive, but I’m surprised so many guys shake a stick at em.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Also not a fan of my summit. Comfortable and safe, just cumbersome

·
Registered
320 Posts
Last time i tried a summit it took me one time carrying it in the woods and it was on archery talk classifieds that night. best mobile climber is still lone wolf. They pack flat and setup and takedown is as quick and quiet as any you will find. As far as comfort i am more comfortable in a lone wolf sit and climb than i was in the summit. I could not stand up from the seat of the summit without using my hands.
I got a lone wolf climber last week, took it out for the first time the other day, for my second time ever using one I would say it was pretty successful. Still need to figure out how to make some things quicker and a little comfier. Took 20 minutes to get down and fully packed up, so not too bad, I'm sure if I practiced and get used to it more it could be a 5-10 minute process. They are really nice stands, only thing is the straps that come with it for your back just suck, I day a young guy and was sore the next day, although I will admit bringing the backpack may not have helped either... The only thing I will say is it's a pain trying to find the good tree's for them, not a lot to pick from but is probably quieter and less weight than a hang on, as well as quicker, so we shall see.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Bought a new used/bow Bowtech Revolt X and switched from a 7 pin sight to a 3 pin slider. Really like that bow, hasn't drawn blood yet. Not sure about the slider sight. Probably go back to my old trusty 7 pin. The bow is smooth, easy to tune, well balanced, and quiet. Only downside is it's pretty heavy to carry after a couple miles.

Spent more $ than I ever thought I would on a Lone Wolf Custom .5 as my saddle platform/treestand. Love that thing. It is perfect size. I thought I would only use it during the rut for long hunts but I used it every hunt but one. Just so much nicer to have the extra real estate to stand up, my smaller saddle platform barely has enough room to stand let alone maneuver for a shot.

·
Registered
572 Posts
they a great but if you dont like stretching out a little the steps might be a little far on spacing
Been thinking about trying the beast sticks, but was worried about that step & at $100 / piece kinda steep to get one just to try.

I switched to a heavy single bevel steel force broadhead. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to see how its performed on a deer yet.

I did spend some time making sure I had good arrow flight (some of that ranch fairy dust stuff). I do have them shooting to the same POI as my field points.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
What is the favorite thumb release since you guys all seem to like them, I thought about starting a new thread but what brand seems to be the go to, any to avoid?

I been saddled up all season and running 4 full length Hawk heliums with rope mods. I may try a cam cleat on one and one stick in the off season to see if I would be alright with it. I like the idea of rappeling after dark, removing the sticks now seems a little tedious

21 - 40 of 78 Posts