The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who made gear changes this year that performed as intended, and they were more or less happy with? (Or not happy with)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For me I switched over to a heavier arrow and a 2 blade fixed head with the intent of less reaction from the deer after the shot, and more consistent pass throughs. I get it was the trendy thing to do this season, but it’s been a couple years in the making for me.

Overall I observed the desired results with both deer even through they were both shot inside of 25 yards. Two pass throughs and dead deer within 30 yards. Im not saying I couldn’t have achieved this with my
Old setup, or any set up, but I think ill leave everything the way it is for next season. It was also really nice to learn about tuning my bow.

I also went to a regular goretex hiking boot rather than mucks (unless hunting super wet areas) I was really happy with this change as well.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Changed broadheads and 4 shots 4 dead deer so happy with that. Best thing i changed was using a ropeman 1 ascender instead or prussic knots for climbing.

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
Got a new sight. Changed from a cheap truglo to a Trophy Ridge 5 pin vertical sight. Also got a new rest . Switched from a Nap Apache to a WB. Went with new broadheads as well. Switched from 100 grain Schwakers to 125 grain VPA non vented fixed broadheads. Jury is still out on them. With the buck I shot I had a pass through and my arrow buried half way into the ground on a quartering away shot. Can’t complain about the penetration and hit exactly where I was aiming. At the same time I can’t help but think a large expandable would of done more damage in that situation and possibly had him go down in sight. Looking to take a more traditional broadside shot on a doe and see the results.
Also went with versa straps instead of buckles for my Hawk Helium sticks which I enjoyed. Think rope mods may of been a better choice but still happy with them. I started getting pretty good with hanging and taking down that particular setup this season. Takes longer but get into more trees and is quieter than my climber. I can also set up the Lone Wolf and sticks without hardly making a sound. My Summit Open Shot at times can be louder going up the tree and sometimes I will make a little noise clicking the cables in. Still probably used the climber over 70% of the time.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Steel i went with versa straps on my beast sticks and they work great. I just tie them like you do a rope mod. It's real easy to get them tight and they add no weight to my setup.

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
Steel i went with versa straps on my beast sticks and they work great. I just tie them like you do a rope mod. It's real easy to get them tight and they add no weight to my setup.
That’s a good idea . How do you like your Beast Sticks ?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Switched to a 4 finger tru ball fang thumb release. It’s took some getting used to going from a wrist strap but I shoot a lot more accurate with it. I could never get fixed blades to fly good and after switching to the thumb they fly right with my field points. Just for kicks I threw the wrist release back on and my fixed blades wind planed to the right. Turns out the wrist strap was causing me to torque the string.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to add I got a sweet deal on a Stan thumb release last spring, but I’m so used to it now I don’t even notice

·
Registered
517 Posts
I sniffed just a little bit of ranch fairy dust this year with some new arrows. Didn't quite go full adult arrow but got the right spine and better FOC for a 470ish gr and they were flying much straighter. With the 4 vanes I needed a new rest (trophy taker smackdown) which I actually hate and I had a failure of the limb cable holder on stand the other night. Bought a new now as a result that I will take my time building and tuning this spring when lancaster archery hopefully calms down. Will also be looking to build adult arrows.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I added a flip top kit with a Hunt Comfort seat to my Lone Wolf Wide and took the Hazmore seat off. Super comfortable but the kit and seat adds almost 5 pounds to push the total weight to 22 pounds. I guess all day comfort comes with a price. I added the D'Acquisto Series Mobile Hunter backpack straps and waist support system on two of my climbers and really like them and they just feel more comfortable and less bulky than the Molle. I upgraded to an HHA Tetra single .010 pin over my HHA single .010 pin slider. I really like the sight but the Tetra .010 pin is finer than frog hair versus my slider and a little harder to see in low light. I might get a .019 pin housing for it next year, but didn't have only problem killing two deer with it this year.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seems like I change my stuff every two weeks! Keep having arrows break or fletchings cut, I think I need to just buy a dozen arrows, by the time I'm all ready and dialed in with arrows I only have 4 good ones left, usually buy 6 to start. Using a new sight with smaller pins so they take up less of the target, switched to 125-grain heads, FMJ arrows, a new bow at the end of last season, different stabilizers, and a whole bunch of other crap. I think I've got my setup pretty good right now, really like 125g heads, love my bow, the only two things I'm working on now is my arrow issue and looking into getting a drop away, my bow eats whisker biscuits up, have gone through 2 already. I would say my rig packs a punch considering it's about 60-62 lbs. Easton did just come out with brand new for 2021 4MM FMJ...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seems like I change my stuff every two weeks! Keep having arrows break or fletchings cut, I think I need to just buy a dozen arrows, by the time I'm all ready and dialed in with arrows I only have 4 good ones left, usually buy 6 to start. Using a new sight with smaller pins so they take up less of the target, switched to 125-grain heads, FMJ arrows, a new bow at the end of last season, different stabilizers, and a whole bunch of other crap. I think I've got my setup pretty good right now, really like 125g heads, love my bow, the only two things I'm working on now is my arrow issue and looking into getting a drop away, my bow eats whisker biscuits up, have gone through 2 already. I would say my rig packs a punch considering it's about 60-62 lbs. Easton did just come out with brand new for 2021 4MM FMJ...
And bought a new stand, and was given a few by my grandfather who only uses ladders now...I'm in a pretty good spot for next season, all I really want are a cellular cam or two.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
I upgraded to an HHA Tetra single .010 pin over my HHA single .010 pin slider. I really like the sight but the Tetra .010 pin is finer than frog hair versus my slider and a little harder to see in low light. I might get a .019 pin housing for it next year, but didn't have only problem killing two deer with it this year.
I did the same thing. I got the 5510. Hind sight I should have got the 5519. Although the pin is remarkably bright for being .010 I thought about adding the rheostat but mixed reviews have me holding off. Also added a Hamskea Trinity and Carter Like Mike to the rig. The trinity was super easy to install and tune. The release was a noticeable upgrade from the 18year old lil goose.

Reactions: Pa.Bone

·
Registered
24 Posts
From last year to this year I changed a lot, and like always still plan on changing haha. After having my sight rotate on me last year without noticing I switched from a trophy ridge to a spot hog and have no complaints. First half of the season I was shooting black eagle outlaw arrows and while they worked good for doe I didn’t get penetration like I would like on a buck I hit and didn’t find so I switched over to my fmjs with no issues on the buck I killed so I’m happy with the way they perform. I think I’m gonna jump on the heavy arrow train and order some iron will 2 blades this winter and hopefully if I do hit a shoulder again I’ll at least blow through one side. Also this was my first year hunting from a saddle and while I didn’t mind it there’s still a lot more to get comfortable with compared to my climber. I bought the hawk helium 3 pack of climbing sticks and I’m not a huge fan of them. I’m keeping them as I don’t get rid of anything cause you can always find a purpose but I think this winter I’m gonna make my own set of climbing sticks so I can get higher and have less bulk. Good post very interesting

·
Registered
787 Posts
I changed a few things. First I got rid of my cheap sight and bought a new CBE micro sight and I love it. I bought a heavier arrow in a 5mm FMJ's. I gave in to the hype and bought some Rage Hypodermics. They crushed the 2 deer I shot. The buck went 25 yards and fell over, the doe went maybe 100 yards, laid down and never got up. Other than that pretty everything else was the same.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
shot mine with the same bow and exact same arrow and broadhead. Thats the 3rd buck in 3 years with that arrow. #51 hoyt spyder. 400 grain easton hexx with an exodus. Im sticking with it. ....although I have a carbon spyder turbo I've been sitting on for i think 4 years.

·
Registered
567 Posts
One other thing i changed was i switched to a specialty peep with a verifier lens. If you are are having trouble seeing your pins i highly recommend it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I added a Summit climber to my public land hunting equipment arsenal. I unadded it two weeks later. The quest will continue in the off season for a quiet, mobile treestand rig.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I added a Summit climber to my public land hunting equipment arsenal. I unadded it two weeks later. The quest will continue in the off season for a quiet, mobile treestand rig.
Last time i tried a summit it took me one time carrying it in the woods and it was on archery talk classifieds that night. best mobile climber is still lone wolf. They pack flat and setup and takedown is as quick and quiet as any you will find. As far as comfort i am more comfortable in a lone wolf sit and climb than i was in the summit. I could not stand up from the seat of the summit without using my hands.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts