The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys who side dress their peppers with Epsom salt, how much do you use and how often?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
One tablespoon and the following week one tablespoon of Urea,I do this two or three times depending on how the pepper are growing.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
You guys who side dress their peppers with Epsom salt, how much do you use and how often?
1 tablespoos full in a circle around the plant, no epsons salts touching the plant but covering the area were there would be roots....every 2 weeks until fruiting, then once we start to pick, every time the day after we pick... my buddy who sells peppers to resturants sometimes gets 2 pickings from his plants in a week, but he then only puts down epsons salts 1 time in that week.... make sure when the fruit is set and you pick, you come back and water the epson salts in..

We hit also with a 10-10-10 fertilizer mix every 2 weeks, the circle around the plants is much larger then the epsons salts circle!

Also, do not forget about your tomatoe plants with the epsons salts... espsons salts also help tomatoes produce much more fruits!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Also, do not forget to gather up those free bee match packs at the local turkey hills, sheetz's, wa wa's and such...place 5 matches in the hole and then a half tablespoon full of epsons salts in the hole and cover lightly with dirt, then put pepper plants in and cover over the roots...something about match heads and the sulfur and other chemicals that make peppers take off real good!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
flocknocker said:
OK, let me ask a stupid question here. The epsom salt helps fertilize the peppers?
It helps the pepper plant Produce More and Bigger peppers, it has Magnesium sulfate in it that the plant uses to make bigger and more peppers!

You still need to fertilize with 5-10-10 or 10-10-10 or horse manure, cow manure, chicken manure and other manures used to make a healthy bed for your plants to grow in!

Also the Epson Salts also helps tomatoes make more and bigger tomatoes!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
And I recommend getting a soil test first, if you have high magnesium in the first place it will just make it harder for your plants to take up calcium. It's more important for tomatoes than peppers, but still something to watch. I even make sure to put all my eggshells into the compost I use on the garden, because it's really hard to over do it with the calcium, especially since it's slow to dissolve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts