The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I want to mount a set of Elk Antlers on a double bases, for an accent to a fire place. Question for all the do it yourselfers, would you pre drill and fill with an epoxy or would you drill and tap the antler, to make it acceptable to mounting to a wood base? Would you mount with or with out washers? Thanks for your help

Russ

Steady Point!

·
Registered
282 Posts
i work with whitetail antlers primarily... tap and tie all the way (when possible) no need for washers, but have found the red or green felt can add an accent...
but elk antlers are pourous in the centers, and tapping them may be an issue when you get to the "honeycomb" center...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'm assuming you do not have a skull plate attached to the antlers??
I'd drill a 3/8 hole 3 inches deep, fill with epoxy, using a surynge to fill from the bottom. then drill and tap the epoxy core with a 1/4x20 tape, usinga hex bolt to attach to whatever you want. Washers Never hurt, certainly under the bolt head.

Remember, the antlers will be at ground level and people will touch them, the force of touching will be a tristing moment and will be more strain on the attachment than the actual antlers.
As I type this, I'm looking at a 60+ heavy AK moose anler set on my wall, it extends quite low and eveyone wants to 'foldel' it, glad I made it max stength!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harry,
What type or brand of epoxy would you use.

Russ

Steady Point!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You need the exopy to hold the threads, the core of antlers is soft, but gets harded as it dries over the years. I buy Duco brand in two small tubes. It is more than enough for the job and i just pitch the rest out. Over the years i've foound it isn't worth saving. I also have used the stuff sold by West Marine ($$)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts