The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EPA Administrator: “I’m not aware of any proven case where the fracking process itself has affected water, although there are investigations ongoing,” she said.

Sen. James Inhofe, ranking member on the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, commended Jackson’s honesty.

“I have great respect for Lisa Jackson and I always appreciate her honesty,” he said in a statement. “Although we disagree on most issues, when you ask her a question she gives you an honest answer. Over the past two years, I have asked various Obama Administration officials if they know of a single confirmed case of groundwater contamination from these fracked formations and every time the answer is no. Lisa Jackson’s statement today that she does not know of any proven case of water contamination further demonstrates that States are regulating hydraulic fracturing effectively and efficiently, and there is no need for the federal government to step in.”

·
Registered
24,757 Posts
I don't trust her...

She stated that gas is good, that there has been no pollution dirctly attributable to fracking but the study is just starting and will conclude at the end of 2012 after the election.... cynical...I know!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
timberdoodle said:
I don't trust her...

She stated that gas is good, that there has been no pollution dirctly attributable to fracking but the study is just starting and will conclude at the end of 2012 after the election.... cynical...I know!
You are right (and not alone) to be cynical. I don't trust the lot of them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think the EPA is trying to take over the regulation of drilling from the states. Which would be terrible for everyone involved.
And I believe you are wise to not trust this, she says that all while the study is going on to try to prove that fracing does effect ground water

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She gave a good account of her "expertise" during the gulf oil blow out. Looks book smart on paper and fits right in with the current admin. EPA is out of control and full of enviro-activists without a wit of common sense and real world experience.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree, EPA oversight would be detrimental in many ways. The EPA needs to conduct studies and provide the information from those studies to the DEP, that's it.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
timberdoodle said:
I don't trust her...

One should view anything Lisa Jackson says with a ton of skepticism. I hope nobody has forgotten her cancelling the New Jersey bear season one time. Her reasoning at the time was, "I talked to the people in my office and we don't think people should shoot those cute bears." I may have a few words in the quote wrong, but the gist of it is correct. Keep this firmly in mind when you see anything the current EPA administrator says.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I don't trust the govt' nor do I trust the industry. They both have their agendas and that doesn't include "us" the general public....remember that any time you see a response from either one!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
The statement is correct. There has not been one single case of pollution to water wells from fracking. There have been over 1.1 MILLION wells fracked in the United States alone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
OneLongShot said:
I don't trust the govt' nor do I trust the industry. They both have their agendas and that doesn't include "us" the general public....remember that any time you see a response from either one!

Extremely well said, I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The problem and where we are seeing gas getting into wells in some cases, is the gas going up the casing of the drill when it is improperly cemented and capped. They have used sub-grade cement in many cases and also have not give that cement the opportunity to fully dry, especially when it may go down a 100 or much more feet......5-8 hours is not enough but that is the standard........we don't have the time to bumble though this as a state, we need set rules, real enforcement and policies in place that don't harm the industry, protect the environment and don't leave the tax payer cleaning up any messes with our tax dollars...........carry on!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting that this was in the WSJ.

Since the horizontal runs of the wells can go in excess of 5000 feet, I don't see a problem with these proposals except in high density single family houses with individual drinking water wells.

Or do they mean the horizontal run can't be within the proposed limits? If that is the case, I'd be interested in more detail.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
"In April, the DEP asked drilling companies to voluntarily stop taking the wastewater to riverside treatment plants that were ill-equipped to remove all the pollutants from it. The agency has not said whether the companies are complying with the May 19 deadline."

I thought I read several weeks ago that MOST of the treatment plants had stopped accepting the waste water and there were less than a dozen that were still accepting waste water and soon expected to stop.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
"In April, the DEP asked drilling companies to voluntarily stop taking the wastewater to riverside treatment plants that were ill-equipped to remove all the pollutants from it. The agency has not said whether the companies are complying with the May 19 deadline."
Disturbing that parameters were not set in place to keep them from taking the wastewater to riverside treatment plants that were ill-equipped to remove all the pollutants in the first place.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
The solution to pollution is dilution.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts