The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 6hp four stroke outboard enough oomph for a 14 foot semi-v aluminum boat...just to go out and fish casually and get me from point a to b?

Really don't wanna spend 2x for a 9.9 when a 6 would suffice.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
A 6 will move you and another person but with the semi-V if it's in the budget the 9.9 would be quicker if you are out and the wind or a storm kicks in or you have a running tide or current.
Count the weight of the motor, passengers,gear and the load builds quickly.
Good Luck

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
A 6 would be enough for up to 2 people but a 9.9 is perfect for a 14 foot semi v or any aluminum boat that size. I had a 9.9 on a v hull aluminum sylvan and it was perfect.

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Get the 9.9.

I had a 6 on a small sneak box. It did not move it fast. The sneak box was a lot lighter than a 14 foot tin boat. It lasted two trips and I bought a new 9.9.

If you have to fight current or wind you could have a problem.

If you don't have the money for a new motor look for a good used motor.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
For what you stated, yes a 6hp will do what you want it to. If you don't want to spend the extra cash on a 9.9, then don't. The 6 will get you where you want to go. It will just take a little longer.
The only way I would say no is if you were going out on a big lake.

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
kudu58 said:
Or anyplace with high winds, strong currents or anytime you have to get off the water quickly like trying to avoid an approaching storm.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Depends on the lakes you want to fish. Many years ago I had a small 12ft semi V with an old sears 6hp. At the time all the lakes I fished were hp restricted at 9.9. Also didnt really pack much gear back then. With two people it was slow but nothing I would consider dangerous either. Can find really good deals on used motors these days too, Might be an option to look into. Get as much motor as your budget,Boat,and lake can handle.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
we were at pymy earlier this year and my FIL 's boat is a bass tracker tournament 17 tx...he had a 5 kicker and i was impressed how good it actually did move us..not a speed demon but moved us from point a to point b

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
kudu58 said:
For what you stated, yes a 6hp will do what you want it to. If you don't want to spend the extra cash on a 9.9, then don't. The 6 will get you where you want to go. It will just take a little longer.
Gotta agree here.

But if you have plans for Pymatuning, Kinzua or Raystown......... the 6 ain't gonna be for you.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Getting the 6 hp will be just like 2' itis with the boat. You know, you buy a 12' and want a 14' in a year or two and so on.
I'd get the highest horsepower, good condition, used outboard that is in your budget. If it is a 9.9, fine but I'd stretch it to a 15/18/20 hp if you can swing it and find it.

Expand your search to OH and NY for the 15hp and bigger since there should be more available due to lack of HP restricted lakes.

I have a 15 hp on my hvy 14' boat and I am always on the prowl for a smokin' deal on a 18 or 20 hp short shaft tiller. Haven't come across the right deal but if I do, I'll pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
85-90% of my fishing from my 14 footer is on PFBC electric only lakes. So the 6 or 9.9 wont see a ton of use

1 - 15 of 15 Posts