The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I go through cycles where I will watch them for awhile then take break . Not much of a book reading type of a guy and rarely find things on television that interest me. In a way it’s just something to pass the time for me. Come turkey season I will probably start searching for a lot of turkey hunting videos . Not because I am looking for someone to idolize it’s just where my head will be at for that time of year. With that being said I feel there is always something new I can learn from some of these guys posting videos.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I have been watching some bull elk chuckling video's on YouTube. To make a good chuckle after a bugle you have to suck air in and out rapidly. Just not consistent with my chuckles, I guess there are worse problems to have.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Anyhow guys I am signing off for a while. With my current situation I find myself rambling on here way too often and it’s starting to make me feel weird. I will come back somewhere down the road when I feel I am capable of using some self restraint and not puking out every single thought that pops into my head. I know a lot of it has to do with cabin fever but it definitely started before this. Wishing everyone good health and happiness. 👋

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Hunting is a hobby for me and I compete with nobody and would never want to be hunting under the scrutiny of the public.
I wouldn't want hunting to be more than a hobby, I think it would take much of the enjoyment out of it for me. Anytime you add a bussiness angle to something it changes, added pressure to do things you might not normally do. Mebey I'm wrong but that's why I never pursued hunting or outdoor sports as a bussiness.

I know a couple guys in the outdoor entertainment industry, one has a show on the outdoor channel. His schedule is so darn crazy in hunting season I don't know how he could enjoy it. Start in pa for a few days, drive to ky for a week, rush out to illinois, drive back to pa, back out to illinois, ect, ect. Yeah he gets to hunt alot, but I can't beleive he has time to enjoy it. Plus he has to put animals on the ground, on film, and he can't waste a hunt without shooting something. Seems like 3 months of chaos to me, no thanks.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Never understood the worship mentality the guy receives. Watched plenty of videos and he seems like an average hunter that simply goes where most won't.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Never understood the worship mentality the guy receives. Watched plenty of videos and he seems like an average hunter that simply goes where most won't.
So he's an average hunter but goes where most don't go? Seems to me that isn't average. He has taken 30 P&Y bucks on public land and several made B&C. I don't care one way or the other. I don't watch regular tv so when I do it's usually YOUTUBE videos and I find him entertaining. To say he's an average hunter sure seems false.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I like a lot of what Dan has to say. I think he makes a lot of sense. I can also see how he can rub some guys the wrong way, but I do enjoy listening to him and reading his thoughts on a lot of stuff.

Also just got some of his beast mini sticks - really liking those - and his new stand looks awesome - especially the weight. Only thing I don't care for with that is the price.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I like Dan. He did a video of rifle drives during WI gun season and is always willing to go the last mile past what anyone else is willing to do to put a buck on the ground. That’s my style in a nutshell. Also his insight on hunting overlooked spots by the road just makes to
Much sense.

·
Registered
940 Posts
So he's an average hunter but goes where most don't go? Seems to me that isn't average. He has taken 30 P&Y bucks on public land and several made B&C. I don't care one way or the other. I don't watch regular tv so when I do it's usually YOUTUBE videos and I find him entertaining. To say he's an average hunter sure seems false.
Just cause the guy is willing to get his feet wet doesn't make him special. He grew up in a state where you could shoot 5 bucks a year. I could point to multiple guys on here that could fill the side of a barn with big racks if we were given the same number of tags that he received.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Just cause the guy is willing to get his feet wet doesn't make him special. He grew up in a state where you could shoot 5 bucks a year. I could point to multiple guys on here that could fill the side of a barn with big racks if we were given the same number of tags that he received.
I guess you missed the part where it said 30 p&y? They get 1 bow tag per year. Whatever I don't really care but I'll take his knowledge and video proof of the huge deer he's killed. Feel free to post pictures of all P&Y and B&C deer.

You are allowed one antlered deer per "deer harvest authorization" according to Wisconsin's regulations. Basically that means you can take a buck with firearm and another with bow. Wisconsin keeps tags weapons specific, so hunters are not allowed to use a bow tag on a buck via firearms and vice versa.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I don’t worship anyone but you inadvertently hit the nail on the head . Finding places that most hunters won’t go is pretty important when it comes to hunting public land and that’s why I find him appealing. Really has nothing to do with how many big bucks he has killed over the years. Getting into places others don’t go increases your odds of seeing a mature buck but it will also give you more confidence knowing other hunters aren’t as likely to be educating deer.
I will also add that it’s a lot harder than it looks hunting places other hunters won’t go because it’s more than just solitude, the deer also have to be there as well. Watching a video or talking about it is not the same as actually doing it . Even if you’re young and in shape it’s challenging. Also the overlooked spots close to the road aren’t always easy because mentally they can sometimes make you feel like you’re wasting your time and look like a idiot .
This is basically why I follow Dan . He talks about tactics on pressured public land . Also really doesn’t effect me one way or the other if people like him or not. The only time I get a little bit bothered by the criticism is when people totally dismiss everything he says because I have been hunting a long time and know for a fact he makes a lot of valid points. So when someone just passes him off as a total clown with nothing to offer I feel like they are indirectly insulting me as well because I have learned some stuff off of him and agree with a lot of it. There has also been a lot of things I have witnessed in the woods over the years that didn’t really make sense or that I just thought was random occurrences. Listening to Dan on certain things sort of made the lightbulb go off for me and realize certain encounters were happening for reason and I just didn’t recognize it at the time.
Lastly I just posted the video because I find it enjoyable listening to a group of people talking about deer hunting. Really didn’t expect it to turn into a debate on Dan Infalt and wether people like him or not.

·
Registered
21,115 Posts
My son was out riding his dirt bike a few miles from home this past fall and kept seeing deer cross a deadend road in three different spots.He killed deer in two of those spots with a bow and I killed one.All three were killed within 30-50 yards of the twp road lol.I've been driving through there almost daily for 20+ years and never even gave hunting in those spots a thought.Sometimes it pays to work smarter and not harder.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I don’t worship anyone but you inadvertently hit the nail on the head . Finding places that most hunters won’t go is pretty important when it comes to hunting public land and that’s why I find him appealing. Really has nothing to do with how many big bucks he has killed over the years. Getting into places others don’t go increases your odds of seeing a mature buck but it will also give you more confidence knowing other hunters aren’t as likely to be educating deer.
I will also add that it’s a lot harder than it looks hunting places other hunters won’t go because it’s more than just solitude, the deer also have to be there as well. Watching a video or talking about it is not the same as actually doing it . Even if you’re young and in shape it’s challenging. Also the overlooked spots close to the road aren’t always easy because mentally they can sometimes make you feel like you’re wasting your time and look like a idiot .
This is basically why I follow Dan . He talks about tactics on pressured public land . Also really doesn’t effect me one way or the other if people like him or not. The only time I get a little bit bothered by the criticism is when people totally dismiss everything he says because I have been hunting a long time and know for a fact he makes a lot of valid points. So when someone just passes him off as a total clown with nothing to offer I feel like they are indirectly insulting me as well because I have learned some stuff off of him and agree with a lot of it. There has also been a lot of things I have witnessed in the woods over the years that didn’t really make sense or that I just thought was random occurrences. Listening to Dan on certain things sort of made the lightbulb go off for me and realize certain encounters were happening for reason and I just didn’t recognize it at the time.
Lastly I just posted the video because I find it enjoyable listening to a group of people talking about deer hunting. Really didn’t expect it to turn into a debate on Dan Infalt and wether people like him or not.
I agree with everything you said here. I find him entertaining and knowledgeable. I've also adapted some of what he talks about into success. Going as far back as he does is certainly physically demanding. I've started hunting public ground much more over the last season or two. I use OnX and record my tracks. It's a difficult task hauling a deer 3+ miles out of rugged places. I had to quarter one in the woods last season because of where it died. It takes a different mind set, but I'm finding it enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Sorry if I started to derail your thread, sometimes I type before I think. Its why I need to take breaks from the internet. :)

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My son was out riding his dirt bike a few miles from home this past fall and kept seeing deer cross a deadend road in three different spots.He killed deer in two of those spots with a bow and I killed one.All three were killed within 30-50 yards of the twp road lol.I've been driving through there almost daily for 20+ years and never even gave hunting in those spots a thought.Sometimes it pays to work smarter and not harder.
I totally agree with that . There are occasions where I know I pass up good spots because I feel they are too easy . I also suffer from the grass is always greener on the other side mentality which is not a great trait to have when it comes to deer hunting.
My main point though......be it physically demanding or overlooked spots , both can really pay off on pressured public land and that’s basically what Dan talks about . Also dce while you are right about hunting smarter not harder there is something to be said about the giant you saw above the Willows that one year. Very few hunters would ever consider getting into a place that challenging so that’s probably a good reason why that buck chose to make that area his home range. He may of even died from natural causes .
Anyhow these discussions always end up going around in circles and can personally get a little frustrating for me because when we say we like Dan or defend him we sort of get classified as “fan boys ” . This really isn’t the case . I just like listening to a lot of what he says . Also find videos such as this one motivational. To me scouting is pretty important because you can never have enough spots . This past season really proved that on my end because some of my best locations were discovered and became so pressured they were no longer huntable. With work and the kids I don’t have a lot of free time and I am often tired . Because of that I am not always that enthused about driving 45 minutes to a hour and walking around in the woods all day . Videos such as this one sort of motivate me to get out there when I am not always feeling up to it and in the end I am always glad that I did.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts