The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep . Even if you don’t agree with his style if you’re patient enough to watch the entire video the discussion will offer something you probably never thought about before . No matter how much I watch Dan he always seems to surprise me with something new. Mostly though I just enjoy the passion being displayed for deer hunting. Can’t help but watch videos like this and not be in a good mood. Really puts me in my happy place.

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How come guys ? Not saying you’re wrong to feel that way just curious as to why . Does he come across as arrogant or a jerk ?

·
Registered
10,983 Posts
How come guys ? Not saying you’re wrong to feel that way just curious as to why . Does he come across as arrogant or a jerk ?
I guess for me it's just the way he films, especially the GoPro constantly in his face. I am way past the how to stuff as well, what I want to see in a film is adventure and cinematography. Other than that nothing wrong with his stuff really, he's a very good hunter and a regular guy.

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess for me it's just the way he films, especially the GoPro constantly in his face. I am way past the how to stuff as well, what I want to see in a film is adventure and cinematography. Other than that nothing wrong with his stuff really, he's a very good hunter and a regular guy.
I have to agree with the filming aspect . It’s really terrible. The younger generation on the other hand is phenomenal. One thing I will say however is I am getting a little tired of all the gas station and drive through footage . Watching someone eat a breakfast sandwich or a burrito seems to be a necessity before we get to enjoy actual hunting footage.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have his hill country buck bedding DVDs. Pretty god info. I'll watch them again before I head out scouting this spring. I don't hunt much swamp land so I don't get into those videos much.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've seen him getting bashed in other forums and I never really understood why? I rather like his videos. The hunts aren't always the greatest quality film but that's just him. He could at any moment have a camera man and good quality equipment he prefers to do it on his own.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to him to be honest but there's just something about him that bugs me.Maybe in person,he's a different guy.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to him to be honest but there's just something about him that bugs me.Maybe in person,he's a different guy.
I can understand what you mean. He's the type of guy that you either like or dislike, not much middle ground. He's his own guy, sure of himself and his methods. He doesn't care what you think about him (not you DCE, but anyone in general) and I think that intimidates a lot of other alpha male types.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
I can understand what you mean. He's the type of guy that you either like or dislike, not much middle ground. He's his own guy, sure of himself and his methods. He doesn't care what you think about him (not you DCE, but anyone in general) and I think that intimidates a lot of other alpha male types.
I really don't have a dog is this fight as I don't know much about him.For as little as I know though,I'm pretty confident that I woudn't consider him an alpha male.I think that's one of things that bugs me.He kinda seems to have a Napolean complex.Again,I don't know the guy and could be wrong.I read a thing about his new stand and he didn't seem to take criticism very well.

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think this goes to show how differently people are viewed from one person to the next . To me I just always looked at Dan as a pretty down to earth guy who is a fanatic when it comes to hunting. His full time job is actually being a machinist and his “hunting celebrity ” isn’t his primary source of income.
Jon Eberhart is another good example. Guy is a incredibly successful hunter that holds the most record book bucks in the state of Michigan on public land . Pretty huge following and sort of The Godfather of saddle hunting. I personally find him to be highly pretentious and pretty arrogant. Also can’t take his scent control practices. Way over the top for me and if I followed his scent control practices I wouldn’t even be able to enjoy myself . With that being said I have learned some really good tactics off him as well.
When it comes to Dan and Jon it’s really interesting because their tactics make each other scoff at one another but in other ways they hunt very similar. Saw some interviews where both were asked about the other’s tactics and it got pretty passive aggressive.
Anyhow I am judging both of them from what I have read and watched on the internet which really isn’t fair because both could be much different in person.
Sort of like on here . Guys who may possibly say things that rub you the wrong way all the time could possibly end up being one of the nicest guys you ever met in person. I have probably given everyone the impression I am the type of guy who is very opinionated and will talk your ear off but in real life I am a man of few words and practically a mute in large crowds . 😂

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Some of my best friends to this day made me cringe when I first met them.That's why I'm not saying the guy is a bad dude.My initial impression is that he rubs me the wrong way.As far as skill and knowledge goes,I don't give a frog's fat arse how good anyone thinks they are.Hunting is a hobby for me and I compete with nobody and would never want to be hunting under the scrutiny of the public.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I rarely ever read about or watch deer hunting video's so I really don't know who he is.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts