The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had ordered some English flints from TOW for my Renegade and one is too thick too get mounted. Run out of screw adjustment. Would this be fairly common to get one or more no matter who you get these from?
Body jewelry Wood Grey Flooring Material property

·
Registered
688 Posts
Remember, these are napped out by hand with a hammer, they're not made by a machine. So I'm sure some variability is to be expected no matter where you get the from. Some vendors likely do a better job with QC and sorting than others.

Don't recall if I've ever used any from TOTW. I get all my English flints from Stonewall Creek Outfitters and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Try a Jaspis flint from RMC in Bellefonte. You could ask them to pick out English that aren't abnormally fat too. Did you ever flatten out a lead ball and use it to hold your oddly shaped flints? Works well but they still need to fit in the hammer.

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
I will look tomorrow at a TC lock screw compared to a Siler, bet the TC is shorter.

Just ran out and looked, wilder opening on a Siler for sure. You should be able to grind it down the hump to fit without too much hassle.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Try a Jaspis flint from RMC in Bellefonte. You could ask them to pick out English that aren't abnormally fat too. Did you ever flatten out a lead ball and use it to hold your oddly shaped flints? Works well but they still need to fit in the hammer.
They still in business? last I knew they shut down years ago when they were at the old skating rink in hublersburg? outside of Bellefonte and never relocated else where. 12 years ago I believe it was. Huh never knew they are back. Where they at in Bellefonte if you don't mind me asking. 30 minute drive from home to bellefonte

·
Registered
65 Posts
They still in business? last I knew they shut down years ago when they were at the old skating rink in hublersburg? outside of Bellefonte and never relocated else where. 12 years ago I believe it was. Huh never knew they are back. Where they at in Bellefonte if you don't mind me asking. 30 minute drive from home to bellefonte
They are open but no longer accept walk in customers. Online, telephone or mail order only, however you can arrange to pick up the order at their physical location. A quick search will provide their address.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Link to address and pick up procedures.

·
Registered
978 Posts
you could ask for low crown flints, they may charge more, but i,m not sure. when you go to any gun shows take a flint that fits and you can compare it to any for sale.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I've had this occur in the past. I've "fixed" it by either knapping off that big top, and also by using an exacto knife, to "skinny" down the leather in the jaws.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Any big box hardware store sells diamond drum grinders for a dremel. I get my flints from ToW also and sort which ones need to be worked on so they all work. It’s really not a big deal. Takes about 30 seconds and you’ll get a better grip in the cock too with a flat and relatively parallel surface top and bottom of the flint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts