The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the 4451 in the 260 w/120s last fall with good results but time got short so I went back to my old load w/H4350 for goats.
Last week I picked up a pound each of 4166, 4955 and another pound of 4451. Hopefully in the very near future I'll get the chance to work with 4451 in my 270-08Imp( 130s) 7-08s(21140s) and the 260 again, the 4955 in the 25-06(100s) and 280(140s).
Anyone else tried them?

Bill

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I bought a pound of the 4451 to just try. Loaded some on a whim in my ruger tang safety 6mm with 80 gr barnes ttsx from the load data on hodgedons sight and wow was all i could say shot just a shade under .5 inch with a three shot group. Was really impressed cant wait to try it again to make sure it wasnt a fluke. Only problem is that 6mm is so dang loud!! Lol

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a quick temp test w/4451 in a 25-06. I loaded six rounds, 50.5grs, 100 Speer 20 off. I put there in the freezer overnight then the next afternoon put them in a small cooler w/ice pack. A the range I put the other three on the hot macadam walkway in the sun to cook.
I fired the cold ones first then the three now toasty ones immediately after. All six shots fired in under a minute.
The results 10' from the muzzle, 24" barrel
..... Cold.........Hot.
Avg - 3248.......3259.
ES - 16.2.......11.9
SD - 9.0 ........6.2

Bill

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
How would you rank that for your deviation? I dont think its bad Makes me a little more confident that if i sight in now when i check my zero when its colder im not gonna have to fiddle around much with it.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aswallace911 said:
I don't think its bad Makes me a little more confident that if i sight in now when i check my zero when its colder im not gonna have to fiddle around much with it.
Remember, its not the ambient outside air temp but the temp of the ammo when its fired, why I tried my best to shoot them at the two extremes. There are times I'll put ammo in cooler then take it to the range so its well chilled until I fire it.

As far as numbers are concerned I pay more attention to the ES and AV of a string which in my mind is a better indicator of consistency round to round than SD.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.