The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, a big thanks to FrankTroutAngler for his quick shipping of a handful of spinners to my door step last week, along with his coveted spinner fishing tips.

I had a work weekend at my cabin Saturday, that gave me a good reason to take a half day Friday and get some fishing in on the way up. I reviewed maps during the week and picked a wild trout stream I had never fished before. I had my initial and back up plans for that creek. Turns out my initial spot was posted up tight...down stream I went & quickly got permission from a cabin that had property stream side to park and walk in.

At 2pm the water temperature was 54 degrees the level & color was as good as I could ask for considering the rain storms I drove through on my way there.

With in a minute I had my first brookie on Franks spinner.

Up around the corner netted me a surprise, I wasn't expecting brownies in this stretch.

Continuing up stream led me to a large pool that looked like big trout water. A feeder stream dumped in to the main flow here. I managed a few trout, including this brown, the biggest of the day.

10th fish landed of the day, this modest brookie.

The most satisfying catch of the day was this guy, a hefty brookie. At only 8", this guy was fat. The photo's of course do not do the colors any justice.

I must have pushed 200 of these guys off the banks and into the water. With the amount of trout in this stream I'd think they'd be safer on dry ground.

This little guy added some color in the middle of the creek.

After 3 hours of fishing I landed my last brown & headed back to meet some buddys for dinner.

It was a great day to be on the water.

·
20,165 Posts
Great pictures. I dont recall you posting here before so welcome aboard an excellent first outing post to put up. Nice pics. Your 'Modest Brookie' is actually a modest brown. I'll tell ya this though...for a brownie it sure does resemble a brook in a lot of ways.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trout, Good call. It is indeed a brown & I posted the wrong link. Since he's such a good looking trout though I'll let him have his fame on the inter-webs for a while & edit it to brookie #10 when i get the chance.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
24,179 Posts
Nice pics and beautiful fish

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, that outing I didn't. In the past I have. Not sure the hook that Frank used when he built the spinner I was using but I found that they held well & were removed fairly easy. Most hook ups are quick strikes resulting in lip hooks. Nothing deep. I've had much harder time removing single bait holders that get in on the tongue than I had removing any of the trebles.

Frank could chime in & tell you what size hook he used too. It's fairly large which also limited deep hook sets.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The treble hooks are #10 VMC's. No need to pinch down the barbs. The Maryland Study from many years ago showed that hooking mortality was actually higher with barbless treble hooks on spinners than barbed treble hooks. The difference was extremely minimal, but clearly showed it makes no difference.

Worse yet would be to use single-point hooks on spinners. They are much easier for trout to swallow deeply and result in higher hooking mortality.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Frank,
With all due respect, the myth about injury to trout with a single hook lure is just that, a myth.
I fish single barbless spinners and spoons and have caught thousands of trout the last few years and have not hurt one fish, the hook slips out no problem and they never swallow it.
Same thing with trout magnets. Every fish hooked in the lip, released unharmed.
Not looking to start an argument, as I look forward to reading your posts and the eye candy photos that come with them!
Keep up the good work!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts