The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whos all taking their Encore out for rifle season and what caliber?

Shot my 115 grain reloads for the 25-06 this afternoon, I am ready to go.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I will have mine in 6.5 rem mag with 120gr b-tip MGM barrel

my step son will have his with MGM 357 maximum and 180gr XTP's

I hunted monday and tommorow with #3 which is a MGM 350 rem mag.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to take the 30-06 pistol... with not filling the archery tag I am a bit hesitant to take the pistol.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Going to use my 45-70 carbine. So Willie can get his first buck. (Lightest recoiling Big Game cal. I have for the Encore)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Taking the encore with the 350 rem mag 20" barrel 1" full bull built by bullbery with leupold 2-7. Have not taken hunting since assembled soots very well....

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
That one will loosen your fillings!!!
I have a .350 Rem Mag(Not in Encore)and it is a real killer(ON BOTH ENDS)LOL
Great Caliber
Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
182 Posts
Actually I have the 1 inch full bore 20" and I think that my 30-06 kicks more the encores stock seems to lighten the kick also the gun is super heavy....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
How do you like the 7mmTCU. I have a mini mark X in 25 TCU that I like for deer. Great little cal. out to about 250 yards.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Had my son shoot my 223 with the 28" fluted bbl (with the forearm you sold me Jon, thanks again). He shot okay but he's only 10 and the gun is a little big for him. I may try and find a youth 223 or 243 tomorrow to buy for him, if that happens I will get my 15" 7mm-08 bbl back on the Encore and use it when not mentoring him (my buck tag is filled), if not he'll be using the 223.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'm using it for deer season. I haven't dialed it in yet to the point I would like. I started out with 139 g and soon switched to 120g. to get better groups. I have a 1 in 11 twist. The shorter pistols have a faster twist and can group the heavier bullets better. I can group 2 inches at 100 yards but believe I can do better when I have time to work up some loads.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jock said:
Had my son shoot my 223 with the 28" fluted bbl (with the forearm you sold me Jon, thanks again). He shot okay but he's only 10 and the gun is a little big for him. I may try and find a youth 223 or 243 tomorrow to buy for him, if that happens I will get my 15" 7mm-08 bbl back on the Encore and use it when not montoring him (my buck tag is filled), if not he'll be using the 223.
Good to hear the forend is working out for you.

Savage has that youth gun package, decent price, and you can always buy a long LOP stock for the boy as he gets older.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Jock said:
Had my son shoot my 223 with the 28" fluted bbl (with the forearm you sold me Jon, thanks again). He shot okay but he's only 10 and the gun is a little big for him. I may try and find a youth 223 or 243 tomorrow to buy for him, if that happens I will get my 15" 7mm-08 bbl back on the Encore and use it when not montoring him (my buck tag is filled), if not he'll be using the 223.
Why not just get a youth stock for the encore? I think they are like 120.00 or something like that. Just a thought. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Both good sugestions guys. I am leaning more toward the saveage youth package, my brother was telling me about them yesterday too. The youth stock for the Encore would be okay but that 28" bbl with the 4-14x44 scope is heavy and I don't think he could shoot it without a rest.
Gonna head out into the madness in a few and see what I can find. LOL

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I want to harvest a deer with the shotgun.....so I am going to take the cheap Moss 500 20 gauge slug gun.. If I do take the Encore it's going to be a 50 cal inline...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've never been a #1 fan of Savaegs, but from the guys that have been buying them and the range reports... well I'd probaly not trade one in if I won it in a raffle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts