The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Night time hunting with other people makes me want to use a single shot shotgun instead of pump or semi.
I do not own any Encore shotgun barrels.
Understand that the Turkey barrels attached to a regular Encore stock does kick a bit...Probably best to use the Prohunter stock system when using the turkey barrel?

Do you like the Regular shotgun barrels or the turkey designated barrels the best? The turkey does come in just blue and also camo...

What I like about the turkey barrels for night time predator calling... The front sight has a equal too Raybar type sight... By attaching a Truglo bow light (pack of 3 cost $12.00) to the barrel you can illuminate the front sight and use it at night time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I own a Pro Hunter with the flex tech. It does take SOME of the recoil out, but I dont think it would do much on the shotgun side. Now for my .243, I could shoot that all day. I dont feel a thing. I think with the big thumping calibers or shotguns, the felt recoil doesnt drop much. just my thoughts!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
uncle buck said:
Night time hunting with other people makes me want to use a single shot shotgun instead of pump or semi.
Not quite sure I understand the point here. Gun safety is gun safety.

I like the looks of PH barrels, and have thought about a 12 ga slug barrel, but I think it is just too expensive. I have a cantilever slug barrel for my 870. For the price of a PH Slug barrel, you could buy an entire pump slug gun.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yea, I agree, they are way over priced for the encore. I bought a Pump mossberg 535. Walnut stock with a 3.5 chamber. Sharp gun, plus, I can throw lead if need be!

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like all of you I could not see paying $340.00 for a 20 gauge PH slug barrel.. I too purchased a 20 gauge Model 500 pump shotgun that came with slug barrel, field barrel, 5 chokes, add on cheek piece, scope with mounts too.
Dicks Sporting Goods...About $200.00. with a rebate yet...

·
Registered
889 Posts
I do not have any shotgun barrels for mine yet. But I have shot slug barrels, and turkey barrels in some Encore's that a few friends have. I really liked them. Yes they recoil, but so does any single shot. I like the TH stock to control recoil. That stock helps alot with recoil control, as well as porting the shotgun.

What I like best is the accuracy of the slug barrel. The few I have shot just amazed me. And the turkey barrels I shot grouped incredibly at 50 yards with a 3" shell(I consider to be the farthest shot for a 3" shell).

I also really like the way the scope mounts. The scope is on the barrel and I like that in a shotgun. Plus the scope is good and solid. just be careful because the standard Encore base is not the base the shotgun barrels use.

I am in the process of buying my first shotgun barrel right now. As a matter of fact if anybody has a good 12 gauge blued barrel I would be interested(turkey barrel). Tom.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John Henry said:
uncle buck said:
Not quite sure I understand the point here. Gun safety is gun safety.

John Henry last year I took a brand new hunter fox hunting with me... He never hunted at night before and he never hunted fox before.. I allowed him to use my equipment. I felt better that he had a single shot in his hands. A NEF 10 gauge and of course Encore 17 Rem rifle instead of a pump or semi..
When I hunt alone or with seasoned night hunters I use a pump or semi...

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOGGHEAD said:
What I like best is the accuracy of the slug barrel. The few I have shot just amazed me. And the turkey barrels I shot grouped incredibly at 50 yards with a 3" shell(I consider to be the farthest shot for a 3" shell).
Now see this is yet another reason not to buy a cheap slug gun... If the slug gun is accurate..It just might be worth
owning an Encore Slug Barrel...Um I would think that 20 gauge would be OK since just imagine the size of a 20 gauge slug and it would not kick as bad as a 12 gauge. yep it would have to be a 20 gauge slug Encore barrel for me.
Someday...Um maybe not in my lifetime...Our children children will be using slug guns only for big game. Now that also would be a reason to get one in the Encore system to hand down to them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts