The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a new rifle barrel for the Encore. The setup will be for my young son to start deer hunting with me. I'm torn between the 30-30 and the 7-30 Waters. I already reload, no problems here.

Would love to hear any opinions on either cartridge in the Encore/Contender platform.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Both cartridges would be great. I also like the idea of the 30-40 Krag if you reload. The Krag is also a rimmed cartridge, which I prefer in the single shots, but with a tad bit more performance than the 30-30. And without much more recoil(just a little more).

Although the 30-30 is a pretty good cartridge in a single shot since you are not limited to the regular 30-30 FP bullets. And the anemic factory velocities.

Sierra made a really nice 130 grain bullet for the 30-30 velocities in a single shot. But I believe they discontinued that bullet. I bought three boxes off of a dealers shelf a year or so ago. There are still a few floating around out there. But I imagine they are probably being bought up. I believe Speer also makes a 130 grain pill for that cartridge, but I have no experience with the Speer bullet. Tom.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
W748 will work well in both calibers. It just comes down to cost of the 7mm vs the 30 cal bullet, buying the 7-30 case from Eabco or fire forming them and the difference in velocities.

IMO some 748 and a 120grn Sierra 7mm bullets will do the trick.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I reload for contender in 30 herrett, 7-30, and 30-30. All pistols. On 30-40 SS.

For your intended use, get the 30-30. Lots of different loads available, and lots of various reloads to boot. I've killed deer with all of the above. I like the herret with the 130 SS pistol bullets. But for starting a kid, the 30-30 is hard to beat and they even have managed recoil loads for it.
My son is 34, he started with my reloads in a turn bolt 308 for his first 3 deer. loaded with the 130 gr pistol bullets. Then he got a 30-30 marlin out of my gun room and has stayed with that for the next 17 years killing lots of game. Kid has the choice of many good deer cartridges and expensive rifle in my collection...but he loves the 30-30. He has had a lot of in-service shooting training (thank you Uncle Sam). guess what I'm saying is get the 30-30 and the kid may stay with it for a long time.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
I just read recently the the 30TC was developed because it's like the 30/30 but is a little better...You might want to check out the 30TC..Notice they do sale this on the shelf for Contender and Encores...
I know you can get a 30/30 Barrel for Contender but you can't get a on the shelf 30/30 barrel for the Encore system.
If I was going to get a 30/30 I might elect to get the 30TC instead since it suppose to be better and it's available on the shelf..

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
the 30 TC is a dead issue. It solves a problem no one had. doubt it will last more than a year. could be a cult collectable.

Single shots work best with rimmed cases. think 30-40 Krag or the 30-30 if you want a 30 cal.

219 Zipper is also nice as is the 225 Winchester.

375 Winchester and 38-55 also good choices. My 375 win has killed a lot of deer and boar.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I have a 7-30 14" in a Contender handgun. I load 120gr. Hornady's using H-414 (A load from the Nosler load book) and it will shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards.

Of course, my vote would be for the 7-30.

SW

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ditto on SETHWOOD, My 14" contender shot 1 inch groups with factory Federal 120 gr boattails. Little recoil. Doe shot at 45 yards, walked about 20 yards than dropped. Rod in Pa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts