The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of getting a 300 win mag heavy barrel for my Encore. Anyone have any experience with this caliber in an Encore?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have the barrel all set up with an awesome leupold scope, it's all set and ready to go,I have everything I need including the ammo, now all I need to do is find the time to shoot the darn thing. If I get a chance soon, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Competed in a 3 position sporter rifle match some years ago, with a guy shooting an Encore in 30-06. He was a pretty big feller and that thing jolted the snot out of him, especially from the prone position.

He never brought it again, said if he even fired it again, it would be after having a muzzle brake installed.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I like Encores and thought about getting a 300 Win Mag...However I have no plans of hunting out West or for big bear and such...Would be kind of like throwing money up into the air..Better to get a Swede 6.5 MM X 55 and use it for whitetail. I do own a 4570 barrel but have yet to even shoot it...Been killing deer with the 3006 24 inch barrel real well...
Now I do have one of those Prohunter stocks that absorb all the recoil????Maybe?????...that be the one I will place the 4570 barrel on or maybe a magnum calbier someday down the road...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I <u>had</u> a 300WM 26" for my Encore. There was no doubt that you pulled the trigger.

I sold the 300WM to my buddy and hes shot it from his PH and he says its manageable, but not something he enjoys shooting. He bought it to take out west in a few years.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Also if you reload...You can shoot a reduced load out of the 300Win Mag make it shoot like the 3006 and the 308 and if you go out West...then you will have one already...so there are some good tings with owning a heavy magnum like the 300 Win Mag.
Saw a guy at my club shooting bullseye with his 300 Weatherby magnum. I commented on how well it shot...He told me that he reloaded the 300 Weatherby Mag down to shoot like a 3006...I never known it was a reduced load by how the bullet group was!!!!
thats kind of having your cake and eating it too. You can use it for whitetail with the reduced load but should you ever venture out of state you will have the 300 Win Mag already....

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you ask what people think you will get all kind of answers. So here is my two cents, And this is not meant to offend anybody, If you think in anyway a 300 WM is a hard recoiling rifle don't buy it. I have one on my Encore no big deal to shoot, However I shoot a 416 Rigby, 375 H&H mag, 338 WM, on mine. Some people are more recoil sensitve than others, below is my 8 yo with my 45-70 Katahdin carbine on first day of buck. He was shooting AR's at 6 years old and shoots a navy model Garand in 308 now when he's not shooting one of the AR's. And yes he has shot that 45-70

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have an Encore 300 Win Mag heavy barrel (blued) that I've been thinking of selling - let me know if you're interested. And I'll echo Dennys comments above - it's a hard recoiling set-up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just sold my Pro hunter barrel and I never thought it was a hard recoiling set-up as a matter of fact I was surprised as to how comfortable it was to shoot

·
Registered
502 Posts
tealdawg said:
I just sold my Pro hunter barrel and I never thought it was a hard recoiling set-up as a matter of fact I was surprised as to how comfortable it was to shoot

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Just wanted to know if any of you have compared shooting the .300 mag. with the different stocks? I have the Flextech stock on my Pro Hunter and when I shoot mag. loads out of the .50 cal., it still kicks pretty good, can't imagine w/o the FlexTech.
Someday I'd like to get a .300 mag for it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
While not a 300 I had a 7mag barrel for my old encore and didnt think it was all that bad. It had the standard encore stocks on it. I sold the old encore an bought the pro hunter. Neither I thought recoiled all that bad. If its something your concerned with look at one of the custom barrel people.
I purchased a 30-06 that has a break on it a while back and there is virtually no recoil to it at all. It was bought used and was manuf by ______________________ (cant think of the guys name now but used to work for TC.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a tc pro hunter 300 win mag with a leupold vx111.I love it.It was a gift from my dad for my 40th birthday.I actually shot a coyote with it this year while deer hunting in west virginia,it really didn't do too much damage,actually the coyote ran about 75 yds downhill after I shot it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a 300WM made out of the custom shop,tapered 26" overall with muzzle break = actual 25 1/8+7/8 .I switched out the factory butt stock to a SVL which helps 150grain muzzleloader recoil as well.The 300 kicks less then my 700 270 but you have to wear hearing protection when hunting

·
Registered
154 Posts
pacherokee54,in case you want to go just a tad lighter,i have a blued 26" 7mm Rem Mag barrel for sale $150 FTF or plus shipping,just a thought

1 - 16 of 16 Posts