The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to using an Encore. My question is, are they capable of the 400-450 yard shots that a bolt action is able to do?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Encores are no different than bolt actions in accuracy in that you have to have a good barrel in a caliber capable of long-range accuracy and find the right load combination for the barrel to shoot accurately at that range.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I shy away from factory barrel? I'm looking at getting a .300 win mag. Want to go elk hunting out west in two years.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I shoot factory barrels in .22 hornet, .223, .243, .260 Rem, and .50 cal. ML along with some custom barrels. I've never had an issue with accuracy with any of my barrels but my factories all per-date TC being bought out. Can't speak to barrels being turned out by S&W run TC.

·
Registered
206 Posts
if encores were as accurate as bolt action rifles, then all the people shooting 1000 yard competition would use them instead of spending thousands on a custom bolt action. don't kid yourself, there is a big difference between the two. the encore triggers are a big issue and the barrel not being able to be free floated is another. remember the rifle you are shooting is only a part of a system which includes shooters ability, ammo quality, optics, weather,and etc. if you want to consistantly shoot long range, go to a benchrest match and talk to the shooters. and for anyone here who doesn't agree with what I am saying, take your encore and go shoot a bench rest match before saying anything more.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
gruvco2 said:
if encores were as accurate as bolt action rifles, then all the people shooting 1000 yard competition would use them instead of spending thousands on a custom bolt action. don't kid yourself, there is a big difference between the two. the encore triggers are a big issue and the barrel not being able to be free floated is another. remember the rifle you are shooting is only a part of a system which includes shooters ability, ammo quality, optics, weather,and etc. if you want to consistantly shoot long range, go to a benchrest match and talk to the shooters. and for anyone here who doesn't agree with what I am saying, take your encore and go shoot a bench rest match before saying anything more.
Not disagreeing with your assessment of benchrest options but the OP asked about shooting 400-450 yds in a hunting situation not in 1000 yd competition shooting. I don't shoot 1000 yd competition but I do shoot occasionally to 450 yds while hunting. I have no doubt that a custom-built benchrest match rifle would outshoot a standard Encore at very long range. That's what they are designed to do. But my Encore will shoot to 400-450 yds as accurately as my bolt action hunting rifles in the same caliber with a good barrel and bullet/powder combination. Trigger adjustments, if needed on the factory frame, are an easy fix for a gunsmith and, in fact, some guys do it themselves with spring replacement kits. Forends are available with a hanger bar system which floats the barrel or I believe you can pillar-bed the forend if needed. Encores are so very easy to carry and manuever in a hunting situation as well. So IMHO the answer to the OP's question as stated is yes if you are comparing factory hunting rifles to factory hunting rifles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"Encores are no different than bolt actions in accuracy in that you have to have a good barrel in a caliber capable of long-range accuracy and find the right load combination for the barrel to shoot accurately at that range."
I just can't totally agree with your above statement. when looking at at tolerances built into switch barrel single shots verses the bolt action fixed barrel ( in a new gun, we won't talk about what happens once you get some play on the roll pin), at ranges longer than 200 yards, theoretically the bolt is going to be more accurate. lets also talk about free floating a barrel. with a bolt action, the barrel is floating above the stock and when firing the rifle the upward pressure point is one the stock and does not interfere with the barrel expanding, whipping, or stretching. with the encore, the barrel is always contacting the stock in two spots (screws)and when firing upward pressure is fixed on the forend which in turn puts upward pressure on the barrel. depending how far forward or rearward the pressure point is when firing, will actually move your POI at longer distances. how much does the barrel stretch, inbetween the forend screws, when it heats up? without getting to involved how many people actually use a torque wrench to tighten the forend screws on the barrel? and yes that last one also should be done on action screws for bolt actions. I said 200 yards previously because benchrest is shot at 200 yards as well as some silo matches, so there is plenty of places one can shoot at that distance. also, almost anyone can sit at a bench and hit a paper plate at 200 yards with alittle practice. after that distance, wind direction and speed come into effect and I don't think most people even think about "reading the wind" much less than know how to do it. so if people are the weak link behind a 200 yard plus shot, why use a gun that theoretically can't be as accurate as a bolt action? lastly, as far as maneuvering in the woods my 23" model 700 300 wsm snags on much less than my brother-in-laws 28" encore 300 win. even though they are the same OAL. but my 700 weighs less fully loaded with 3 rounds than his does empty. thats basic gun to gun. now lets say you buy an encore and a rem 700 and you don't like the way they shoot. what then? there might be a half dozen custom barrel makers for encores or you can try swapping factory barrels until/if you find one you are happy with. then some smiths to do trigger work and then...??? with a 700 you have an almost unlimited assortment of barrel makers, custom triggers, stock compositions and patterns, gunsmiths, and machining options that can turn an average grouping gun into one that shoots one holes. in the end you can spend more money on a 700 than a encore, but it would also be moret personalized.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
What really matters to me is that my Encore can and will bend, bow, heave, expand, backflip, twist, barf and squat etc etc. the exact same way each and every time I squeeze the trigger. My custom floated, milled, and drilled Rem. 700 bdl 25-06 just collects dust.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Rip, Sounds like you take your Encore out wining and dining with you after hunting. A true Encore fanatic!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I better stay out of this one but i will say one thing i will shoot agasint anyone with my encore out to 200 yds and yous can use your deer gun

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
If you guys want to shoot gun for gun, I`m all cool for that, but not let this thread get personal and bashing. Set up the contest and be gentlemanly about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts