The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one at the Gun Show today and had to buy it. Was the 28" stainless fluted version. Anyone else have one and if so what slugs work for you best in it?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have one--after about 250 worth of slugs and pillar bedding the forearm..it seems to favor of all things Remington Buckhammers

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have a 20g pro hunter forarm New in package if you are interested,PM me I will sell cheap.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I shoot Federals,3inch,5/8oz.using Barnes Expanders,,,They shoot great at 100yards, 1,inch or under,,,and they are the Best Killing bullets out there...

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I thought it would be nice to have a 20 gauge slug gun in the Encore...However had my chance to buy a cheap model 500 slug combo with field barrel..then I purchased all of these expensive slugs to see which ones would shoot well...$$$$$$Found out that the basic slug...The Foster shot the best.. So by all means before you buy all of those expensive slugs...try to shoot some of the Cheap Fosters first. you just might save you some money on the expensive slug ammo..

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I did some research on this...Probably the Buckhammers would work better in the Encore then the Fosters..Fosters are truly made for smoohtbore shotguns...the Buckhammers are made for rifled shotgun and or the rifled choke tube shotguns... So if the price is the same.. for the Buckhammers that would be better to start with...Me too with the cheap model 500. hope the buckhammers are as cheap as the Fosters.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did pick up some buckhammers a couple weeks back which were around $6/box if I recall. Unfortunatley between time and weather I have not gotten to the range to try anything. I appreciate all the info.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Something how some of the sabots are almost like $17.00 for 5 shells.. As you know it does take more then one shot to sight in a gun to dub it a good load...
Hope we don't have to go to total shotgunning for deer in our 67 counties?
Might be good for people who own Encore system to keep a log of all the good shooting sabots on here just in case they will chagne it and make it mandatory to use shotgun someday for deer.

One thing makes sense...If your going to use the expensive sabots and such...Sure don't want on of those small 2 power scopes to shoot 100 or mor yards.. Gee one should at least have a designated slug scope or at least a 2 X 7 32...

to go and shoot the $17. 00 sabots with a 2 X scope at 100 yards or better is like throwing money up into the air...

If I ever buy an Encore Slug barrel...I am going to make sure it has the right scope on it thats for sure!!!!!
Also going with the 20 gauge too..12 kicks a bit and the 20 gauge slug is already one heck of a piece of lead or what ever when it hits a vital...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2x7 Leupold on mine which works great for distances out to 200 yards. I don't really hunt anywhere now that offers that range and I don't know about the slugs to do that so probably 125 max. Actually got to the range today and tried the Remington Buckhammers and Hornady SST. Neither got me all charged up over the groups. Hornadys were aobut 4" at 100. Buckhammers had 3 in about 3" but seemed to string high to low over about 8 inches.

·
Registered
435 Posts
don't think the 20 won't rap you too, I've got more than one split to my forehead....log is ok but I tried a lot of the suggested loads that worked well for others and didn't shoot in mine. I have a 3 x 9 Burris on mine and at times wish had more power

1 - 12 of 12 Posts