The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heating oil tank supports at our camp are basically shot and the tank is showing its age as well so I am planning on replacing both this summer. The tank has 150 to 175 gallons of oil in it right now. I need to transfer the oil into another container so I can remove the old tank and put the new one in place. Does anyone have any tips as to what to use to get this job done? I was considering a drill pump since they are cheap, but I see they say do not pump flammable liquids on them because of the spark in the drill motor I suppose. Think I could still get away with using a drill pump since heating oil isn't that flammable?

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
I would look at flea markets or go to Northern Tool and buy a barral pump.
We had a building that we were taking down to make room for new construction and one of my crew asked if he could have the oil. It was going to cost [email protected] GAL to have the tanks sucked down and they would not credit us back for the oil, so I told the guy go for it. There was over 400 gal in 2-275 gal tanks.
He seperated the union and started using one of those mickey mouse pumps and in short order the oil ate the impeller. He found a hand crank pump that could pull the oil up higher where he could use 55 gal drums instead of 5 gal gas cans and then carrying them up steps to his truck.
I would avoid having a spark around the oil, don't think it is strong enough to ignight the oil but I wouldn't want it all over my hands when you found out.
Good Luck

·
Registered
241 Posts
2nd on getting a drum pump. Tractor supply out on Jonestown road should have them. Pump into clean 55 gallon drums or a tote then you can use the pump to pump it back into a new tank.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I rented a fuel transfer pump from the place near us...wasnt all that expensive and worked great...plugged into regular outlet/cord and filled up a 55 gallon drum pretty fast. I think they had a hookup for a car battery as well if electric isnt available...easier than buying a pump to use it once... Good luck!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Any tool rental place should be able to supply a pump cheaper than buying.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Hand crank is plenty for a one time job. Ask your buddies, one of them has one.
Your local heating oil dealer probably has some 55 gallon drums around. Our guy sells them for $5.

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
If you plan on going through Breezewood any time real soon I would be glad to lend you my barrel pump ( hand pump) or if your camp is within a reasonable distance I would even be willing to bring my electric transfer pump and help ya out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts